Jul 4, 2014, 11:27 AM EST
While the 2013-14 season was a difficult one for Virginia Tech, with the Hokies winning just nine games and head coach James Johnson being fired, one of the positives was the year put forth by guard Ben Emelogu. Emelogu posted averages of 10.5 points and 3.1 rebounds per game, and he was even named team captain before having played a game in a Virginia Tech uniform.
Even with the coaching change that led to Buzz Williams arriving in Blacksburg, the skill and maturity were two attributes that made it seem as if Emelogu would be a part of the picture moving forward.
However that reportedly will not be the case, with Mike Barber of the Richmond Times-Dispatch reporting that Emelogu has left the Virginia Tech program. According to the report Emelogu hasn’t been with the program this summer, and his departure makes him the fourth player to leave the program since the end of the season.
Guard Marshall Wood (transferred to Richmond) and centers Maurice Kirby (Coffeyville (Kan.) CC) and Trevor Thompson (Ohio State) are the others.
Four perimeter players (seven newcomers overall) have joined the Virginia Tech program since Williams was hired, freshmen Justin Bibbs, Ahmed Hill and Jalen Hudson and Maryland transfer Seth Allen (he won’t be able to play this season).
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)