Jul 4, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
While the 2013-14 season was a difficult one for Virginia Tech, with the Hokies winning just nine games and head coach James Johnson being fired, one of the positives was the year put forth by guard Ben Emelogu. Emelogu posted averages of 10.5 points and 3.1 rebounds per game, and he was even named team captain before having played a game in a Virginia Tech uniform.
Even with the coaching change that led to Buzz Williams arriving in Blacksburg, the skill and maturity were two attributes that made it seem as if Emelogu would be a part of the picture moving forward.
However that reportedly will not be the case, with Mike Barber of the Richmond Times-Dispatch reporting that Emelogu has left the Virginia Tech program. According to the report Emelogu hasn’t been with the program this summer, and his departure makes him the fourth player to leave the program since the end of the season.
Guard Marshall Wood (transferred to Richmond) and centers Maurice Kirby (Coffeyville (Kan.) CC) and Trevor Thompson (Ohio State) are the others.
Four perimeter players (seven newcomers overall) have joined the Virginia Tech program since Williams was hired, freshmen Justin Bibbs, Ahmed Hill and Jalen Hudson and Maryland transfer Seth Allen (he won’t be able to play this season).
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can Green Bay take the next step, represent the Horizon League in the Tournament? 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)