Jul 4, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
While the 2013-14 season was a difficult one for Virginia Tech, with the Hokies winning just nine games and head coach James Johnson being fired, one of the positives was the year put forth by guard Ben Emelogu. Emelogu posted averages of 10.5 points and 3.1 rebounds per game, and he was even named team captain before having played a game in a Virginia Tech uniform.
Even with the coaching change that led to Buzz Williams arriving in Blacksburg, the skill and maturity were two attributes that made it seem as if Emelogu would be a part of the picture moving forward.
However that reportedly will not be the case, with Mike Barber of the Richmond Times-Dispatch reporting that Emelogu has left the Virginia Tech program. According to the report Emelogu hasn’t been with the program this summer, and his departure makes him the fourth player to leave the program since the end of the season.
Guard Marshall Wood (transferred to Richmond) and centers Maurice Kirby (Coffeyville (Kan.) CC) and Trevor Thompson (Ohio State) are the others.
Four perimeter players (seven newcomers overall) have joined the Virginia Tech program since Williams was hired, freshmen Justin Bibbs, Ahmed Hill and Jalen Hudson and Maryland transfer Seth Allen (he won’t be able to play this season).
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)