Jul 4, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
While the 2013-14 season was a difficult one for Virginia Tech, with the Hokies winning just nine games and head coach James Johnson being fired, one of the positives was the year put forth by guard Ben Emelogu. Emelogu posted averages of 10.5 points and 3.1 rebounds per game, and he was even named team captain before having played a game in a Virginia Tech uniform.
Even with the coaching change that led to Buzz Williams arriving in Blacksburg, the skill and maturity were two attributes that made it seem as if Emelogu would be a part of the picture moving forward.
However that reportedly will not be the case, with Mike Barber of the Richmond Times-Dispatch reporting that Emelogu has left the Virginia Tech program. According to the report Emelogu hasn’t been with the program this summer, and his departure makes him the fourth player to leave the program since the end of the season.
Guard Marshall Wood (transferred to Richmond) and centers Maurice Kirby (Coffeyville (Kan.) CC) and Trevor Thompson (Ohio State) are the others.
Four perimeter players (seven newcomers overall) have joined the Virginia Tech program since Williams was hired, freshmen Justin Bibbs, Ahmed Hill and Jalen Hudson and Maryland transfer Seth Allen (he won’t be able to play this season).
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Maryland transfer eligible this season at Georgia Tech (3)
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)