Jul 5, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
When Pat Summitt retired as head coach at Tennessee in April 2012, the school named her head coach emeritus and allowed her to remain a part of the women’s program as her health would allow. The question asked by some was how long would Summitt would be allowed to remain in that new position.
According to the Associated Press, Summitt will remain head coach emeritus and this will be the case for as long as she likes. This was learned through the AP’s filing of a public records request.
“I would like to emphasize that I fully intend to continue working as head coach emeritus, mentoring and teaching life skills to our players, and I will continue my active role as a spokesperson in the fight against Alzheimer’s through the Pat Summitt Foundation Fund,” Summitt said in 2012 at the time of her retirement as head coach.
“If anyone asks, you can find me observing practice or in my office. Coaching is the great passion of my life, and the job to me has always been an opportunity to work with our student-athletes and help them discover what they want. I will continue to make them my passion. I love our players and my fellow coaches, and that’s not going to change.”
Holly Warlick will begin her third season as head coach this fall, and in Warlick’s first two seasons the Lady Volunteers have won 27 and 29 games, respectively. Tennessee lost to Maryland in the Sweet 16 last season.
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 0
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 3
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)