Jul 5, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
When Pat Summitt retired as head coach at Tennessee in April 2012, the school named her head coach emeritus and allowed her to remain a part of the women’s program as her health would allow. The question asked by some was how long would Summitt would be allowed to remain in that new position.
According to the Associated Press, Summitt will remain head coach emeritus and this will be the case for as long as she likes. This was learned through the AP’s filing of a public records request.
“I would like to emphasize that I fully intend to continue working as head coach emeritus, mentoring and teaching life skills to our players, and I will continue my active role as a spokesperson in the fight against Alzheimer’s through the Pat Summitt Foundation Fund,” Summitt said in 2012 at the time of her retirement as head coach.
“If anyone asks, you can find me observing practice or in my office. Coaching is the great passion of my life, and the job to me has always been an opportunity to work with our student-athletes and help them discover what they want. I will continue to make them my passion. I love our players and my fellow coaches, and that’s not going to change.”
Holly Warlick will begin her third season as head coach this fall, and in Warlick’s first two seasons the Lady Volunteers have won 27 and 29 games, respectively. Tennessee lost to Maryland in the Sweet 16 last season.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)