Jul 6, 2014, 4:23 PM EST
After he made just 15 appearances as a freshman at Gonzaga, it was announced in late May that 6-foot-9 forward Lucas Meikle was granted a release from his scholarship and would be transferring. On Sunday Meikle’s new destination was learned, with Left Coast Recruiting reporting that the Bellarmine Prep (Tacoma, Wash.) product is headed to Cal Poly.
In his 15 games Meikle played just under four minutes per game, posting averages of 0.7 points and 0.9 rebounds per contest. Meikle’s best offensive performance came in Gonzaga’s 91-81 win over Arkansas at the Maui Invitational, as he scored four points in eight minutes of action while also blocking two shots.
Meikle also grabbed a season-high four rebounds in Gonzaga’s 93-61 win over Colorado State on November 11, to go along with two points and a blocked shot in nine minutes.
Meikle will have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, leaving him three years of eligibility beginning with the 2015-16 campaign. Joe Callero’s Mustangs, who won the Big West tournament to earn the program’s first NCAA tournament bid, won’t lack for front court depth when Meikle becomes eligible to play in 2015.
Among the Mustangs in the front court who will have eligibility remaining are forwards David Nwaba (11.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg), Brian Bennett (6.1, 3.1) and Joel Awich (4.1, 2.7). All three players will be seniors when the 2015-16 season begins. Meikle is the fourth addition to the Cal Poly program, joining freshmen Aleks Abrams and Trevor John and junior Kyle Toth.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)