Jul 6, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
After he made just 15 appearances as a freshman at Gonzaga, it was announced in late May that 6-foot-9 forward Lucas Meikle was granted a release from his scholarship and would be transferring. On Sunday Meikle’s new destination was learned, with Left Coast Recruiting reporting that the Bellarmine Prep (Tacoma, Wash.) product is headed to Cal Poly.
In his 15 games Meikle played just under four minutes per game, posting averages of 0.7 points and 0.9 rebounds per contest. Meikle’s best offensive performance came in Gonzaga’s 91-81 win over Arkansas at the Maui Invitational, as he scored four points in eight minutes of action while also blocking two shots.
Meikle also grabbed a season-high four rebounds in Gonzaga’s 93-61 win over Colorado State on November 11, to go along with two points and a blocked shot in nine minutes.
Meikle will have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, leaving him three years of eligibility beginning with the 2015-16 campaign. Joe Callero’s Mustangs, who won the Big West tournament to earn the program’s first NCAA tournament bid, won’t lack for front court depth when Meikle becomes eligible to play in 2015.
Among the Mustangs in the front court who will have eligibility remaining are forwards David Nwaba (11.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg), Brian Bennett (6.1, 3.1) and Joel Awich (4.1, 2.7). All three players will be seniors when the 2015-16 season begins. Meikle is the fourth addition to the Cal Poly program, joining freshmen Aleks Abrams and Trevor John and junior Kyle Toth.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)