Jul 6, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
After he made just 15 appearances as a freshman at Gonzaga, it was announced in late May that 6-foot-9 forward Lucas Meikle was granted a release from his scholarship and would be transferring. On Sunday Meikle’s new destination was learned, with Left Coast Recruiting reporting that the Bellarmine Prep (Tacoma, Wash.) product is headed to Cal Poly.
In his 15 games Meikle played just under four minutes per game, posting averages of 0.7 points and 0.9 rebounds per contest. Meikle’s best offensive performance came in Gonzaga’s 91-81 win over Arkansas at the Maui Invitational, as he scored four points in eight minutes of action while also blocking two shots.
Meikle also grabbed a season-high four rebounds in Gonzaga’s 93-61 win over Colorado State on November 11, to go along with two points and a blocked shot in nine minutes.
Meikle will have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, leaving him three years of eligibility beginning with the 2015-16 campaign. Joe Callero’s Mustangs, who won the Big West tournament to earn the program’s first NCAA tournament bid, won’t lack for front court depth when Meikle becomes eligible to play in 2015.
Among the Mustangs in the front court who will have eligibility remaining are forwards David Nwaba (11.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg), Brian Bennett (6.1, 3.1) and Joel Awich (4.1, 2.7). All three players will be seniors when the 2015-16 season begins. Meikle is the fourth addition to the Cal Poly program, joining freshmen Aleks Abrams and Trevor John and junior Kyle Toth.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)