Jul 6, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
After he made just 15 appearances as a freshman at Gonzaga, it was announced in late May that 6-foot-9 forward Lucas Meikle was granted a release from his scholarship and would be transferring. On Sunday Meikle’s new destination was learned, with Left Coast Recruiting reporting that the Bellarmine Prep (Tacoma, Wash.) product is headed to Cal Poly.
In his 15 games Meikle played just under four minutes per game, posting averages of 0.7 points and 0.9 rebounds per contest. Meikle’s best offensive performance came in Gonzaga’s 91-81 win over Arkansas at the Maui Invitational, as he scored four points in eight minutes of action while also blocking two shots.
Meikle also grabbed a season-high four rebounds in Gonzaga’s 93-61 win over Colorado State on November 11, to go along with two points and a blocked shot in nine minutes.
Meikle will have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, leaving him three years of eligibility beginning with the 2015-16 campaign. Joe Callero’s Mustangs, who won the Big West tournament to earn the program’s first NCAA tournament bid, won’t lack for front court depth when Meikle becomes eligible to play in 2015.
Among the Mustangs in the front court who will have eligibility remaining are forwards David Nwaba (11.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg), Brian Bennett (6.1, 3.1) and Joel Awich (4.1, 2.7). All three players will be seniors when the 2015-16 season begins. Meikle is the fourth addition to the Cal Poly program, joining freshmen Aleks Abrams and Trevor John and junior Kyle Toth.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)