Jul 7, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Josh Gordon, a standout receiver for the Cleveland Browns and the guy that made my fantasy football season quite lucrative last year, was arrested over the weekend for a DWI after he blew a .09 during a traffic stop for speeding early Saturday morning.
That has nothing to do with college basketball.
What does, however, is the guy that bailed him out of jail: Haydn ‘Fats’ Thomas.
You remember him, right?
He was the convicted felon at the center of all of the P.J. Hairston drama last summer, which eventually got the first round pick of the Charlotte Hornets kicked out of the UNC program. It was an SUV rented by Thomas that Hairston was riding in when, at a police checkpoint, more than 40 grams of marijuana and a handgun were discovered. Back in 2012, it was a Camaro rented by Thomas that Hairston was driving when he was pulled over for speeding. That same Camaro racked up a boatload of parking tickets on the UNC campus that summer.
It gets better.
The car that Gordon was driving at the time that he was arrested? A 2015 Cadillac Escalade registered to … P.J. Hairston.
Coincidentally enough, Hairston was also involved in his own legal matter this weekend.
Kentrell Barkley, a mid-major recruit and rising senior at Northern Durham HS, got into a physical altercation with Hairston while playing pickup at a local YMCA on Sunday. Barkley claims that he was sucker-punched twice by Hairston, whose agent told ESPN.com that Barkley swung on his client first. Barkley says that he filed a police report and that his claims will be substantiated by a video the YMCA has of the incident.
UPDATE (12:15 p.m.): P.J. Hairston has reportedly been charged assault and battery as a result of the incident.
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)