Jul 7, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Georgia Southern redshirt senior forward Eric Ferguson has been suspended indefinitely following a recent arrest with roommate and former teammate Brian Holmes.
According to a report from Donald Heath of the Savannah Morning News, the 6-foot-8 Ferguson and Holmes were arrested for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, possession of schedule II and schedule III drugs (prescription pills), possession of a firearm and possession/use of a drug-related object.
The details of the arrest were released by the Bulloch County Sheriff’s Department on its website last week.
After spending time on vacation with his family last week, Georgia Southern athletic director Tom Kleinlein came back and suspended Ferguson indefinitely. Kleinlein noted that Ferguson is still allowed to attend class and use school facilities to rehab his back. Ferguson missed last season with the back injury after averaging 15.4 points per game as a sophomore.
“Right now, (Ferguson) is not part of the team,” Kleinlein said in the report. “For me, it comes down to letting the legal process take (care) of itself and then I can make a better decision but for now, I can’t have him part of our program. That’s what happens when you make poor decisions.”
Georgia Southern joins the Sun Belt this year and the loss of Ferguson is a big one. As a sophomore the 6-foot-8 forward was an All-Southern Conference selection and the Eagles have some talent around Ferguson as well.
College of Charleston transfer forward Trent Wiedeman sat out last season due to NCAA transfer rules but was also an All-Southern Conference performer earlier in his career as he averaged 12.1 points and 8.7 rebounds per game as a sophomore.
Point guard Jelani Hewitt also returns after averaging 19.4 points per game last season and also earning all-league honors.
Those three would have given Georgia Southern some pieces to work with entering this season, but the loss of Ferguson could be tough to handle for the Eagles.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 0
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- NCAA rules committee proposes 30-second shot clock, fewer timeouts (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (4)