Jul 8, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
The first of three July evaluation periods begins on Wednesday at 5 p.m. The College of Charleston has decided that head coach Doug Wojcik will not be on the recruiting trail this week. It had been recently reported that he was under investigation for alleged verbal abuse directed at players.
At the start of the month, it was reported that the school had hired investigators to look into the day-to-day operations of the men’s basketball team. Last Thursday, a 50-page report was obtained and released, detailing complaints made by members of the program, ranging from personal insults to threats.
During the live periods, the head coach and three assistant coaches are allowed to be on the road. Meaning, Wojcik’s three assistant — Antonio Reynolds Dean, Joe Wallace and Ryan Freeberg — will be on the recruiting trail starting Wednesday evening. During that time, Wojcik is allowed to attend meetings.
Despite the allegations, Wojcik made it clear this weekend, he has no plans on resigning.
Wojcik was hired to replace the retired Bobby Cremins in 2012. In two seasons with the Cougars, he has amassed a 38-29 record. He had previously been the head coach at Tulsa for seven seasons.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)