Jul 8, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
John Groce is in this third year at Illinois, but before the season begins he may be in for his second contract extension.
According to the Julie Wurth of the News-Gazette, the University of Illinois board of trustees is considering the possibility of extending Groce’s five-year deal. In Groce’s first season, he led the Fighting Illini in to the 2013 NCAA Tournament. After a 23-win inaugural season, he was rewarded with a three-year extension, which runs through the 2017-2018 season, and received a pay raise that bumped his annual salary up to $1.6 million.
From the News-Gazette:
Officials won’t provide any details, but the UI Board of Trustees’ Governance, Personnel and Ethics Committee will meet Thursday and review an agenda item reading: “amend multiyear contract with head varsity men’s basketball coach.”
Committee Chair Pamela Strobel said Monday she couldn’t discuss the details of the proposed amendment until the committee reviews it on Thursday. The committee does not usually take formal votes on agenda items; the full board would vote at its regular meeting July 24 in Chicago.
Groce has compiled a 43-28 record in his two seasons at Illinois. Despite another 20-win season in 2013-2014, the Illini settled for a bid in the NIT, where they were bounced in the second round by Clemson.
The 42-year-old coach was hired by Illinois in 2012 after a four-year stint at Ohio.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)