Jul 8, 2014, 3:51 PM EST
Memphis center Dominic Woodson was involved in a physical altercation with a football player in which the football player was the aggressor, assaulting one of the Memphis academic advisors and throwing Woodson to the ground, according to a report from the Memphis Commercial-Appeal.
The paper obtained a copy of the police report.
Robert Davis, a 5-foot-8 redshirt freshman running back, was the football player involved in the incident, which was the result of a dispute over a girl.
Here’s how the Commercial-Appeal described the incident:
Woodson and Davis were involved in a verbal disagreement — over a female, a source told The CA last week — that became physical after Davis grabbed U of M Associate Director of Athletic Academics Kristin Williams and “shoved her to the floor” to get to Woodson.
The 5-8, 170-pound Davis then lunged at Woodson, according to the report, and took the 6-10, 290-pound forward to the ground, resulting in “minor sheet rock damage to the walls in the area as a result of the assault.”
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner has not said whether or not Woodson will be punished for this incident, and if Davis was the aggressor, Woodson may be off the hook. The problem is that Woodson’s mouth has gotten him into trouble before. He was kicked off the bench during a game against Central Florida last season and suspended for three games for cursing.
Woodson was also suspended for the Tiger’s trip to Raleigh for the NCAA tournament and was ejected from a win over Gonzaga for this flagrant foul.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)