Jul 8, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
Memphis center Dominic Woodson was involved in a physical altercation with a football player in which the football player was the aggressor, assaulting one of the Memphis academic advisors and throwing Woodson to the ground, according to a report from the Memphis Commercial-Appeal.
The paper obtained a copy of the police report.
Robert Davis, a 5-foot-8 redshirt freshman running back, was the football player involved in the incident, which was the result of a dispute over a girl.
Here’s how the Commercial-Appeal described the incident:
Woodson and Davis were involved in a verbal disagreement — over a female, a source told The CA last week — that became physical after Davis grabbed U of M Associate Director of Athletic Academics Kristin Williams and “shoved her to the floor” to get to Woodson.
The 5-8, 170-pound Davis then lunged at Woodson, according to the report, and took the 6-10, 290-pound forward to the ground, resulting in “minor sheet rock damage to the walls in the area as a result of the assault.”
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner has not said whether or not Woodson will be punished for this incident, and if Davis was the aggressor, Woodson may be off the hook. The problem is that Woodson’s mouth has gotten him into trouble before. He was kicked off the bench during a game against Central Florida last season and suspended for three games for cursing.
Woodson was also suspended for the Tiger’s trip to Raleigh for the NCAA tournament and was ejected from a win over Gonzaga for this flagrant foul.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)