Jul 8, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
Memphis center Dominic Woodson was involved in a physical altercation with a football player in which the football player was the aggressor, assaulting one of the Memphis academic advisors and throwing Woodson to the ground, according to a report from the Memphis Commercial-Appeal.
The paper obtained a copy of the police report.
Robert Davis, a 5-foot-8 redshirt freshman running back, was the football player involved in the incident, which was the result of a dispute over a girl.
Here’s how the Commercial-Appeal described the incident:
Woodson and Davis were involved in a verbal disagreement — over a female, a source told The CA last week — that became physical after Davis grabbed U of M Associate Director of Athletic Academics Kristin Williams and “shoved her to the floor” to get to Woodson.
The 5-8, 170-pound Davis then lunged at Woodson, according to the report, and took the 6-10, 290-pound forward to the ground, resulting in “minor sheet rock damage to the walls in the area as a result of the assault.”
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner has not said whether or not Woodson will be punished for this incident, and if Davis was the aggressor, Woodson may be off the hook. The problem is that Woodson’s mouth has gotten him into trouble before. He was kicked off the bench during a game against Central Florida last season and suspended for three games for cursing.
Woodson was also suspended for the Tiger’s trip to Raleigh for the NCAA tournament and was ejected from a win over Gonzaga for this flagrant foul.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)