Jul 8, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
Memphis center Dominic Woodson was involved in a physical altercation with a football player in which the football player was the aggressor, assaulting one of the Memphis academic advisors and throwing Woodson to the ground, according to a report from the Memphis Commercial-Appeal.
The paper obtained a copy of the police report.
Robert Davis, a 5-foot-8 redshirt freshman running back, was the football player involved in the incident, which was the result of a dispute over a girl.
Here’s how the Commercial-Appeal described the incident:
Woodson and Davis were involved in a verbal disagreement — over a female, a source told The CA last week — that became physical after Davis grabbed U of M Associate Director of Athletic Academics Kristin Williams and “shoved her to the floor” to get to Woodson.
The 5-8, 170-pound Davis then lunged at Woodson, according to the report, and took the 6-10, 290-pound forward to the ground, resulting in “minor sheet rock damage to the walls in the area as a result of the assault.”
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner has not said whether or not Woodson will be punished for this incident, and if Davis was the aggressor, Woodson may be off the hook. The problem is that Woodson’s mouth has gotten him into trouble before. He was kicked off the bench during a game against Central Florida last season and suspended for three games for cursing.
Woodson was also suspended for the Tiger’s trip to Raleigh for the NCAA tournament and was ejected from a win over Gonzaga for this flagrant foul.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)