Jul 8, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
The evening before the start of the most important recruiting period of the year, Stanford landed its first commitment in the Class of 2015. Chattahoochee High (Georgia) small forward Marcus Sheffield announced that he had committed to the Pac-12 program on Tuesday afternoon.
Committed to Stanford University today 🏀🏀👌
— (@Schemefield) July 8, 2014
The 6-foot-5 wing was a four-star recruit, ranked No. 83 overall in the class by Rivals. He held scholarship offers from Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Kansas State, Maryland and Xavier. On the grassroots circuit, he is playing for Game Elite in the adidas Gauntlet. Sheffield is averaging 13.3 points per game, second on the team to Jaylen Brown, who has jumped to the No. 3 rated player in the country this summer.
Stanford is coming off a season when it reached the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2008.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)