Jul 8, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
The evening before the start of the most important recruiting period of the year, Stanford landed its first commitment in the Class of 2015. Chattahoochee High (Georgia) small forward Marcus Sheffield announced that he had committed to the Pac-12 program on Tuesday afternoon.
Committed to Stanford University today 🏀🏀👌
— (@Schemefield) July 8, 2014
The 6-foot-5 wing was a four-star recruit, ranked No. 83 overall in the class by Rivals. He held scholarship offers from Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Kansas State, Maryland and Xavier. On the grassroots circuit, he is playing for Game Elite in the adidas Gauntlet. Sheffield is averaging 13.3 points per game, second on the team to Jaylen Brown, who has jumped to the No. 3 rated player in the country this summer.
Stanford is coming off a season when it reached the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2008.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)