Jul 8, 2014, 7:15 PM EST
The evening before the start of the most important recruiting period of the year, Stanford landed its first commitment in the Class of 2015. Chattahoochee High (Georgia) small forward Marcus Sheffield announced that he had committed to the Pac-12 program on Tuesday afternoon.
Committed to Stanford University today 🏀🏀👌
— (@Schemefield) July 8, 2014
The 6-foot-5 wing was a four-star recruit, ranked No. 83 overall in the class by Rivals. He held scholarship offers from Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Kansas State, Maryland and Xavier. On the grassroots circuit, he is playing for Game Elite in the adidas Gauntlet. Sheffield is averaging 13.3 points per game, second on the team to Jaylen Brown, who has jumped to the No. 3 rated player in the country this summer.
Stanford is coming off a season when it reached the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2008.
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)