Jul 8, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
The evening before the start of the most important recruiting period of the year, Stanford landed its first commitment in the Class of 2015. Chattahoochee High (Georgia) small forward Marcus Sheffield announced that he had committed to the Pac-12 program on Tuesday afternoon.
Committed to Stanford University today 🏀🏀👌
— (@Schemefield) July 8, 2014
The 6-foot-5 wing was a four-star recruit, ranked No. 83 overall in the class by Rivals. He held scholarship offers from Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Kansas State, Maryland and Xavier. On the grassroots circuit, he is playing for Game Elite in the adidas Gauntlet. Sheffield is averaging 13.3 points per game, second on the team to Jaylen Brown, who has jumped to the No. 3 rated player in the country this summer.
Stanford is coming off a season when it reached the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2008.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)