Jul 9, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Jeff Neubauer’s Eastern Kentucky Colonels, who finished last season with a 24-10 record, picked the right time to play their best basketball of the season. EKU won seven straight games, the last of which being a 79-73 win over Belmont in the OVC title game, to earn a spot in the NCAA tournament field. Led by Glenn Cosey, Corey Walden and Marcus Lewis, EKU pushed one-seed Kansas for most of their round of 64 game before falling 80-69.
The next step for Neubauer and his coaching staff is to figure out how they’ll go about accounting for the losses of both Cosey and Lewis, with Walden (13.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.9 apg) being their most productive returnee. With that in mind the Colonels can make good use of a summer trip, with the program announcing plans for a trip to Australia next month.
Scheduled to leave the States on August 5, EKU will play four games in four different Australian cities (Sydney, Wollongong, Brisbane and Cairns) before returning on the 16th.
“This is going to be a great experience for our guys,” Neubauer said in the release. “On the basketball side, this will be a challenge. The teams we are going to face play at a very high level. This is also going to be a great opportunity for our players to see another part of the world.”
Three of the four teams EKU will face, the Sydney Kings, Wollongong Hawks and Cairns Taipans, play professionally in the National Basketball League with the Suncoast Clippers playing in the Queensland Basketball League. Also returning for EKU is senior forward Eric Stutz, and the trip (and the ten practices that come beforehand) will help a group that’s adding five newcomers with three being junior college transfers.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)