Jul 9, 2014, 5:56 PM EDT
Wednesday afternoon new Marist head coach Mike Maker moved one step closer to filling out his coaching staff, as an addition and a retention were announced by the program. The retention is Paul Lee, who has been a member of the Marist coaching staff for the last six seasons, with former Keflavik Basketball Club (Iceland) head coach Andy Johnston being the addition.
Johnston, who served as the head coach of four different teams at Keflavik (men’s, women’s and the under-21 teams for both the men and women), also has coaching experience at the Division I level. He spent five years at St. Francis-Brooklyn (2008-13), helping the program earn a fourth place finish in the NEC in 2011-12.
“We are thrilled to welcome Andy to the Marist men’s basketball family,” Maker said in the release. “His wealth of experience as both a head and assistant coach adds tremendous value to our staff and program.”
Marist finished the 2013-14 season with a 12-19 overall record, but their 9-11 mark in MAAC play represented a three-win improvement on their 2012-13 league record (6-12). Marist will have to account for the graduation of center Adam Kemp and guard/forward Jay Bowie, but they return rising senior guard/forward Chavaughn Lewis (17.5 ppg, 5.0 ppg, 2.8 apg) and rising redshirt sophomore guard Khalid Hart (14.7, 3.0, 2.5).
Maker will also add five newcomers to the program, including guard James Griffin and forward Obi Momah.
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 13
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (22)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field (15)