Jul 9, 2014, 5:56 PM EDT
Wednesday afternoon new Marist head coach Mike Maker moved one step closer to filling out his coaching staff, as an addition and a retention were announced by the program. The retention is Paul Lee, who has been a member of the Marist coaching staff for the last six seasons, with former Keflavik Basketball Club (Iceland) head coach Andy Johnston being the addition.
Johnston, who served as the head coach of four different teams at Keflavik (men’s, women’s and the under-21 teams for both the men and women), also has coaching experience at the Division I level. He spent five years at St. Francis-Brooklyn (2008-13), helping the program earn a fourth place finish in the NEC in 2011-12.
“We are thrilled to welcome Andy to the Marist men’s basketball family,” Maker said in the release. “His wealth of experience as both a head and assistant coach adds tremendous value to our staff and program.”
Marist finished the 2013-14 season with a 12-19 overall record, but their 9-11 mark in MAAC play represented a three-win improvement on their 2012-13 league record (6-12). Marist will have to account for the graduation of center Adam Kemp and guard/forward Jay Bowie, but they return rising senior guard/forward Chavaughn Lewis (17.5 ppg, 5.0 ppg, 2.8 apg) and rising redshirt sophomore guard Khalid Hart (14.7, 3.0, 2.5).
Maker will also add five newcomers to the program, including guard James Griffin and forward Obi Momah.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)