Jul 11, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
The first open period of the month became a profitable one for Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey on Friday, as Iona Prep (New Rochelle, N.Y.) small forward Matt Ryan announced his decision to attend the ACC school via Twitter.
Ryan was a priority recruit for Notre Dame, and that status didn’t change despite the fact that Ryan played in just eight games this past season due to a hip injury. Having undergone surgery in the spring, the 6-foot-5 Ryan hasn’t played in any grassroots events this summer.
And in an article written by Mitch Abramson of the New York Daily News back in February, the hip issue is something that Ryan had to deal with for quite some time before undergoing surgery.
Ryan, who has dealt with pain in both hips since originally injuring himself as a freshman, will have two surgeries — on March 3 and March 17 — to repair torn labrums and bone impingements. Ryan’s father, Rich Ryan, told the Daily News on Wednesday that his son’s medical condition is similar to the one Alex Rodriguez dealt with for much of last baseball season.
Ryan’s arrival in South Bend will come after Pat Connaughton wraps up his Notre Dame career, and that’s an important departure for the Fighting Irish to account for (Jerian Grant will also be a senior next year). Taking Grant’s 19.0 points per game in the 12 contests he played last season before being declared ineligible into consideration, he and Connaughton combined to average 32.5 points per game in 2013-14.
With that being the case there will be a need for others to step forward, with Ryan being one of those options when he arrives on campus.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)