Jul 11, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
After playing sparingly during his three seasons at Indiana (redshirting as a sophomore), Austin Etherington will have the opportunity to earn immediate playing time as a graduate transfer at Butler. Unfortunately for the 6-foot-6 forward and head coach Brandon Miller, the process of working towards that this offseason has hit a snag.
Friday afternoon the school announced that Etherington will be sidelined anywhere from 12 to 16 weeks after undergoing foot surgery.
“It’s a tough blow for Austin, but we’re glad that the surgery went well,” Miller said in the release. “He’s overcome adversity in the past, and we’re confident that he will make a full recovery. We’re looking forward to his return, and we’re excited about the contribution he’ll make to our program this season.”
Etherington played in just seven games as a sophomore at Indiana due to a torn ACL, leading to the granting of a medical redshirt for that season. He’s one of two transfers to join the program this offseason, with former NC State point guard Tyler Lewis being the other (Lewis will have to sit out the 2014-15 season).
In total Butler adds five newcomers and welcomes back Roosevelt Jones, who sat out all of last season with a wrist injury.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)