Jul 11, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
After playing sparingly during his three seasons at Indiana (redshirting as a sophomore), Austin Etherington will have the opportunity to earn immediate playing time as a graduate transfer at Butler. Unfortunately for the 6-foot-6 forward and head coach Brandon Miller, the process of working towards that this offseason has hit a snag.
Friday afternoon the school announced that Etherington will be sidelined anywhere from 12 to 16 weeks after undergoing foot surgery.
“It’s a tough blow for Austin, but we’re glad that the surgery went well,” Miller said in the release. “He’s overcome adversity in the past, and we’re confident that he will make a full recovery. We’re looking forward to his return, and we’re excited about the contribution he’ll make to our program this season.”
Etherington played in just seven games as a sophomore at Indiana due to a torn ACL, leading to the granting of a medical redshirt for that season. He’s one of two transfers to join the program this offseason, with former NC State point guard Tyler Lewis being the other (Lewis will have to sit out the 2014-15 season).
In total Butler adds five newcomers and welcomes back Roosevelt Jones, who sat out all of last season with a wrist injury.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)