Jul 11, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
After playing sparingly during his three seasons at Indiana (redshirting as a sophomore), Austin Etherington will have the opportunity to earn immediate playing time as a graduate transfer at Butler. Unfortunately for the 6-foot-6 forward and head coach Brandon Miller, the process of working towards that this offseason has hit a snag.
Friday afternoon the school announced that Etherington will be sidelined anywhere from 12 to 16 weeks after undergoing foot surgery.
“It’s a tough blow for Austin, but we’re glad that the surgery went well,” Miller said in the release. “He’s overcome adversity in the past, and we’re confident that he will make a full recovery. We’re looking forward to his return, and we’re excited about the contribution he’ll make to our program this season.”
Etherington played in just seven games as a sophomore at Indiana due to a torn ACL, leading to the granting of a medical redshirt for that season. He’s one of two transfers to join the program this offseason, with former NC State point guard Tyler Lewis being the other (Lewis will have to sit out the 2014-15 season).
In total Butler adds five newcomers and welcomes back Roosevelt Jones, who sat out all of last season with a wrist injury.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)