Jul 12, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
As the No. 1 player in Rivals.com’s Class of 2016 national rankings, Detroit native Josh Jackson will be a player to keep track of this July.
But it looks like Jackson will be leaving Detroit Consortium College Prep to play in California for the next high school season, according to a recent interview on YouTube for 1 Nation.
Jackson doesn’t specify where he’s headed yet, but says, “I will not be at Consortium, I will be out in California…” before the video pops up with a “stay tuned” message to end of the interview.
Normally the transfer of a high school player wouldn’t be particularly newsworthy — it happens semi-regularly — but as the No. 1 player in the Class of 2016, this is intriguing on a number of levels.
Multiple college coaches have told NBCSports.com at the adidas Unrivaled Camp in Chicago this week that they believe Jackson will eventually reclassify to the Class of 2015. It was one of the key story lines we told you to look out for this month, largely because Jackson was originally a member of the Class of 2015 before repeating eighth grade.
A transfer to a school in California for Jackson could signal that he’s trying to get his academics in-line to make such a move. Jackson reclassifying is merely speculative at this point, but this will be something to monitor as we get towards the fall and the November signing period. If Jackson were to move up to the 2015 class, he would have a legitimate shot at being the No. 1 player in that class as well.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)