Jul 12, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Minnesota is on the board in the Class of 2015 as a source told NBCSports.com that four-star guard Kevin Dorsey committed to head coach Richard Pitino and the Golden Gophers.
The 5-foot-11 Dorsey is considered the No. 84 overall prospect in the 2015 class, according to Rivals, and the native of Virginia is a nice fit for Pitino’s uptempo style.
Dorsey comes from a very successful Paul VI High School basketball program, and playing for Team Takeover in the Nike EYBL, Dorsey played in 16 games and averaged 12.5 points, 2.8 assists and 1.5 steals per game. The guard also shot 51 percent from the field, 73 percent from the free-throw line and 33 percent from the three-point line.
Dorsey was also strong at the Pangos All-American Camp in June and picked Minnesota over a final three that also included Maryland and Nebraska. The guard visited Minnesota’s campus in late June and Richard Pitino was reportedly watching Dorsey play at the Ty Lawson Camp all this week.
Although Dorsey isn’t a true point guard for now, he could eventually turn into a lead guard while also being a good on-the-ball defender. With potential point guards in scarce commodity in the 2015 class, this is a good pickup for Minnesota.
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)