Jul 12, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Minnesota is on the board in the Class of 2015 as a source told NBCSports.com that four-star guard Kevin Dorsey committed to head coach Richard Pitino and the Golden Gophers.
The 5-foot-11 Dorsey is considered the No. 84 overall prospect in the 2015 class, according to Rivals, and the native of Virginia is a nice fit for Pitino’s uptempo style.
Dorsey comes from a very successful Paul VI High School basketball program, and playing for Team Takeover in the Nike EYBL, Dorsey played in 16 games and averaged 12.5 points, 2.8 assists and 1.5 steals per game. The guard also shot 51 percent from the field, 73 percent from the free-throw line and 33 percent from the three-point line.
Dorsey was also strong at the Pangos All-American Camp in June and picked Minnesota over a final three that also included Maryland and Nebraska. The guard visited Minnesota’s campus in late June and Richard Pitino was reportedly watching Dorsey play at the Ty Lawson Camp all this week.
Although Dorsey isn’t a true point guard for now, he could eventually turn into a lead guard while also being a good on-the-ball defender. With potential point guards in scarce commodity in the 2015 class, this is a good pickup for Minnesota.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 4
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)