Jul 12, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
Minnesota is on the board in the Class of 2015 as a source told NBCSports.com that four-star guard Kevin Dorsey committed to head coach Richard Pitino and the Golden Gophers.
The 5-foot-11 Dorsey is considered the No. 84 overall prospect in the 2015 class, according to Rivals, and the native of Virginia is a nice fit for Pitino’s uptempo style.
Dorsey comes from a very successful Paul VI High School basketball program, and playing for Team Takeover in the Nike EYBL, Dorsey played in 16 games and averaged 12.5 points, 2.8 assists and 1.5 steals per game. The guard also shot 51 percent from the field, 73 percent from the free-throw line and 33 percent from the three-point line.
Dorsey was also strong at the Pangos All-American Camp in June and picked Minnesota over a final three that also included Maryland and Nebraska. The guard visited Minnesota’s campus in late June and Richard Pitino was reportedly watching Dorsey play at the Ty Lawson Camp all this week.
Although Dorsey isn’t a true point guard for now, he could eventually turn into a lead guard while also being a good on-the-ball defender. With potential point guards in scarce commodity in the 2015 class, this is a good pickup for Minnesota.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)