Jul 12, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Minnesota is on the board in the Class of 2015 as a source told NBCSports.com that four-star guard Kevin Dorsey committed to head coach Richard Pitino and the Golden Gophers.
The 5-foot-11 Dorsey is considered the No. 84 overall prospect in the 2015 class, according to Rivals, and the native of Virginia is a nice fit for Pitino’s uptempo style.
Dorsey comes from a very successful Paul VI High School basketball program, and playing for Team Takeover in the Nike EYBL, Dorsey played in 16 games and averaged 12.5 points, 2.8 assists and 1.5 steals per game. The guard also shot 51 percent from the field, 73 percent from the free-throw line and 33 percent from the three-point line.
Dorsey was also strong at the Pangos All-American Camp in June and picked Minnesota over a final three that also included Maryland and Nebraska. The guard visited Minnesota’s campus in late June and Richard Pitino was reportedly watching Dorsey play at the Ty Lawson Camp all this week.
Although Dorsey isn’t a true point guard for now, he could eventually turn into a lead guard while also being a good on-the-ball defender. With potential point guards in scarce commodity in the 2015 class, this is a good pickup for Minnesota.
- Hoiberg to Chicago means Iowa State has everything riding on hiring right replacement 2
- Brandon Austin’s latest mistake: using the media to try and garner sympathy 2
- Former Missouri forward Johnathan Williams III transfers to Gonzaga 2
- Reports: #FredHoibergWatch takes another step forward 0
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 44
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (44)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Auburn center Trayvon Reed released from jail (5)
- Amidst Iowa State rumors, Jeff Hornacek discusses commitment to Phoenix Suns (5)