Jul 12, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
Minnesota is on the board in the Class of 2015 as a source told NBCSports.com that four-star guard Kevin Dorsey committed to head coach Richard Pitino and the Golden Gophers.
The 5-foot-11 Dorsey is considered the No. 84 overall prospect in the 2015 class, according to Rivals, and the native of Virginia is a nice fit for Pitino’s uptempo style.
Dorsey comes from a very successful Paul VI High School basketball program, and playing for Team Takeover in the Nike EYBL, Dorsey played in 16 games and averaged 12.5 points, 2.8 assists and 1.5 steals per game. The guard also shot 51 percent from the field, 73 percent from the free-throw line and 33 percent from the three-point line.
Dorsey was also strong at the Pangos All-American Camp in June and picked Minnesota over a final three that also included Maryland and Nebraska. The guard visited Minnesota’s campus in late June and Richard Pitino was reportedly watching Dorsey play at the Ty Lawson Camp all this week.
Although Dorsey isn’t a true point guard for now, he could eventually turn into a lead guard while also being a good on-the-ball defender. With potential point guards in scarce commodity in the 2015 class, this is a good pickup for Minnesota.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)