Jul 12, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
After putting together a spring that made him one of the Class of 2015’s best prospects, 6-foot-8 forward Ray Smith suffered a significant setback on Thursday afternoon at the adidas Unrivaled Camp in Chicago. Smith suffered a knee injury during that session, and on Friday it was reported that he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.
The Las Vegas native put together an excellent season at Las Vegas High School last season, posting averages of 24.7 points, 6.0 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 2.0 steals according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal. However with this injury, Smith’s father believes that an appearance during his senior year of high school is doubtful.
“As of today I would say he’s not going to play the high school basketball season,” Bobby Smith said. “If he comes back, it would be toward the end of the playoffs.”
The good news is that the elder Smith is also quoted in the Review-Journal that the programs still recruiting Ray plan to remain in the fold and no offers have been pulled. With the advances made medically when it comes to repairing a torn ACL that comes as no surprise, especially when considering how talented Smith is.
Arizona, Arizona State, California, Georgetown, Louisville, Oregon, Texas, UCLA, USC and Wake Forest are the ten schools vying for Smith’s services, with the five-star prospect revealing that list in May.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)