Jul 12, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
After putting together a spring that made him one of the Class of 2015’s best prospects, 6-foot-8 forward Ray Smith suffered a significant setback on Thursday afternoon at the adidas Unrivaled Camp in Chicago. Smith suffered a knee injury during that session, and on Friday it was reported that he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.
The Las Vegas native put together an excellent season at Las Vegas High School last season, posting averages of 24.7 points, 6.0 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 2.0 steals according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal. However with this injury, Smith’s father believes that an appearance during his senior year of high school is doubtful.
“As of today I would say he’s not going to play the high school basketball season,” Bobby Smith said. “If he comes back, it would be toward the end of the playoffs.”
The good news is that the elder Smith is also quoted in the Review-Journal that the programs still recruiting Ray plan to remain in the fold and no offers have been pulled. With the advances made medically when it comes to repairing a torn ACL that comes as no surprise, especially when considering how talented Smith is.
Arizona, Arizona State, California, Georgetown, Louisville, Oregon, Texas, UCLA, USC and Wake Forest are the ten schools vying for Smith’s services, with the five-star prospect revealing that list in May.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)