Jul 15, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
Following his second arrest in a three-month span, Iowa rising sophomore guard Peter Jok was suspended indefinitely from all team-related activities, the school announced on Tuesday evening.
On April 27, Jok, 20, was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicating after being stopped by police for making an illegal turn on his moped around 2:40 a.m. in Iowa City. Monday night, Jok was arrested for driving his moped without a license. He was pulled over for an illegal taillight and a missing safety flag. Both those infractions were documented in his previous arrest.
“In light of last night’s moped incident, I’ve decided to suspend Peter Jok indefinitely from all University of Iowa basketball-related activities,” Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said in a statement. “We support Peter, but we’re not happy with his recent pattern of behavior.
“In the interim, Peter will continue to attend summer school classes, participate in community service projects and take time to work on things internally, as outlined in accordance with the student-athlete Code of Conduct. We will monitor his progress and go from there.”
The 6-foot-6 Jok appeared in 27 games as a freshman for one of the deepest teams in the country. He averaged 4.4 points in 9.4 minutes per game, shooting close to 35 percent from beyond the arc. He recorded one of his six double-digit scoring performances in the Hawkeyes’ last game of the season, with 10 points, off 4-of-5 shooting in 16 minutes, in a First Four loss to Tennessee.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)