Jul 15, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
Following his second arrest in a three-month span, Iowa rising sophomore guard Peter Jok was suspended indefinitely from all team-related activities, the school announced on Tuesday evening.
On April 27, Jok, 20, was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicating after being stopped by police for making an illegal turn on his moped around 2:40 a.m. in Iowa City. Monday night, Jok was arrested for driving his moped without a license. He was pulled over for an illegal taillight and a missing safety flag. Both those infractions were documented in his previous arrest.
“In light of last night’s moped incident, I’ve decided to suspend Peter Jok indefinitely from all University of Iowa basketball-related activities,” Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said in a statement. “We support Peter, but we’re not happy with his recent pattern of behavior.
“In the interim, Peter will continue to attend summer school classes, participate in community service projects and take time to work on things internally, as outlined in accordance with the student-athlete Code of Conduct. We will monitor his progress and go from there.”
The 6-foot-6 Jok appeared in 27 games as a freshman for one of the deepest teams in the country. He averaged 4.4 points in 9.4 minutes per game, shooting close to 35 percent from beyond the arc. He recorded one of his six double-digit scoring performances in the Hawkeyes’ last game of the season, with 10 points, off 4-of-5 shooting in 16 minutes, in a First Four loss to Tennessee.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)