Jul 15, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Following his second arrest in a three-month span, Iowa rising sophomore guard Peter Jok was suspended indefinitely from all team-related activities, the school announced on Tuesday evening.
On April 27, Jok, 20, was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicating after being stopped by police for making an illegal turn on his moped around 2:40 a.m. in Iowa City. Monday night, Jok was arrested for driving his moped without a license. He was pulled over for an illegal taillight and a missing safety flag. Both those infractions were documented in his previous arrest.
“In light of last night’s moped incident, I’ve decided to suspend Peter Jok indefinitely from all University of Iowa basketball-related activities,” Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said in a statement. “We support Peter, but we’re not happy with his recent pattern of behavior.
“In the interim, Peter will continue to attend summer school classes, participate in community service projects and take time to work on things internally, as outlined in accordance with the student-athlete Code of Conduct. We will monitor his progress and go from there.”
The 6-foot-6 Jok appeared in 27 games as a freshman for one of the deepest teams in the country. He averaged 4.4 points in 9.4 minutes per game, shooting close to 35 percent from beyond the arc. He recorded one of his six double-digit scoring performances in the Hawkeyes’ last game of the season, with 10 points, off 4-of-5 shooting in 16 minutes, in a First Four loss to Tennessee.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)