Jul 15, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Following his second arrest in a three-month span, Iowa rising sophomore guard Peter Jok was suspended indefinitely from all team-related activities, the school announced on Tuesday evening.
On April 27, Jok, 20, was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicating after being stopped by police for making an illegal turn on his moped around 2:40 a.m. in Iowa City. Monday night, Jok was arrested for driving his moped without a license. He was pulled over for an illegal taillight and a missing safety flag. Both those infractions were documented in his previous arrest.
“In light of last night’s moped incident, I’ve decided to suspend Peter Jok indefinitely from all University of Iowa basketball-related activities,” Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said in a statement. “We support Peter, but we’re not happy with his recent pattern of behavior.
“In the interim, Peter will continue to attend summer school classes, participate in community service projects and take time to work on things internally, as outlined in accordance with the student-athlete Code of Conduct. We will monitor his progress and go from there.”
The 6-foot-6 Jok appeared in 27 games as a freshman for one of the deepest teams in the country. He averaged 4.4 points in 9.4 minutes per game, shooting close to 35 percent from beyond the arc. He recorded one of his six double-digit scoring performances in the Hawkeyes’ last game of the season, with 10 points, off 4-of-5 shooting in 16 minutes, in a First Four loss to Tennessee.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)