Jul 15, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
On Tuesday, the Emory Sports Marketing Analytics released the top fanbases in all of college basketball for the 2013-2014 season. Like in 2013, Louisville was considered to have the best “Fan Equity” among power conferences programs. And for the second season in a row, Louisville’s rival, Kentucky, failed to crack the top 5.
Our rankings are based on a statistical analysis of self-reported revenue data. We create a statistical model of revenue as a function of team quality (winning percentage, NCAA tournament qualification, etc…) and market potential (conference affiliation, median income, area population, number of students, etc…) and then compare the model’s prediction to the self-reported revenues.
Here are the top 10, according to the criteria:
9. Oklahoma State
Duke and Arizona flip spots from a year ago while Kentucky remains No. 7. Last season the Xavier fanbase would have been listed in the “non-power” rankings, but with a move to the new Big East it debuted in the top 5. As for the “non-power” rankings, it was Dayton, not Gonzaga, to hold down the top spot.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)