Jul 16, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
On Tuesday, Cunonzo Martin adding to his first recruiting class at Cal, landing a commitment from Cornell graduate Dwight Tarwater.
The 6-foot-6 Tarwater will enroll in a public health master’s program at Cal, and will be eligible immediately. This news was first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports.
“I’ve known that I’ve wanted to go to Cal for a while,” the Knoxville native told the Knoxville News Sentinel on Tuesday night. “I actually just received my letter of acceptance today.”
Tarwater averaged 7.1 points, 5.5 rebounds and 1.0 assists in 26 minutes per game for the Big Red, who finished last in the Ivy League.
“Coach Martin looked at a lot of (Cornell) games this year when we played a lot of high majors, and he thought that I performed really well against those types of teams.”
He joins an incoming class that includes 7-foot-1 center Kingsley Okoroh, who followed Martin from Tennessee to Berkeley, and point guard Brandon Charuca.
Cal finished 21-14 (10-18 Pac-12) ending Mike Montgomery’s last season with the Golden Bears in the NIT quarterfinals.
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)