Jul 16, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
On Tuesday, Cunonzo Martin adding to his first recruiting class at Cal, landing a commitment from Cornell graduate Dwight Tarwater.
The 6-foot-6 Tarwater will enroll in a public health master’s program at Cal, and will be eligible immediately. This news was first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports.
“I’ve known that I’ve wanted to go to Cal for a while,” the Knoxville native told the Knoxville News Sentinel on Tuesday night. “I actually just received my letter of acceptance today.”
Tarwater averaged 7.1 points, 5.5 rebounds and 1.0 assists in 26 minutes per game for the Big Red, who finished last in the Ivy League.
“Coach Martin looked at a lot of (Cornell) games this year when we played a lot of high majors, and he thought that I performed really well against those types of teams.”
He joins an incoming class that includes 7-foot-1 center Kingsley Okoroh, who followed Martin from Tennessee to Berkeley, and point guard Brandon Charuca.
Cal finished 21-14 (10-18 Pac-12) ending Mike Montgomery’s last season with the Golden Bears in the NIT quarterfinals.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)