Jul 16, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
Keelon Lawson is a former college basketball player that has become a state-title winning high school coach in Memphis, Tenn.
That makes him a legitimate target as an assistant coach at the Division I level, but what makes his imminent hire at Memphis — reportedly to become official in the next 48 hours, according to CBSSports.com and the Memphis Commercial-Appeal — is that Lawson happens to be the father of K.J., Dedric, Chandler and Jonathon.
K.J., a 6-foot-7 wing, is the No. 57 recruit in the Class of 2015 and already committed to Memphis. Dedric is a 6-foot-8 four-man and the No. 8 recruit in the Class of 2016, reportedly on the brink of committing to Memphis. Chandler is already 6-foot-6 despite being in the Class of 2019, also known as a rising-eighth grader. And Jonathan, who is 12, has a future that is just as bright.
The family is also related to current Memphis assistant Robert Kirby, meaning that head coach Josh Pastner has pulled out all stops in an effort to land each and every one of the Lawsons.
This wouldn’t be the first time that an assistant coach was hired in order to get his son onto campus. Ed Manning was hired by Larry Brown into to get Danny Manning to Kansas. John Reese was hired by Texas A&M to entice his son, J-Mychal, who has since transferred to North Texas.
The NCAA has made a push in recent years to eliminate these kind of package deals, where a relative or high school/AAU coach leverages his association with a prospect into a job. But there was an exception that was made: if the coach or relative is hired as one of the program’s three fulltime assistants, it is allowed.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)