Jul 16, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
With the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam beginning Wednesday, many of the nation’s top coaches descended upon North Augusta, South Carolina to watch some of the nation’s best prospects play in one of the showcase events of the summer. One such player expected to be on display was 2015 guard Malik Newman, considered by many to be one of the top players in his class.
But after injuring his left hand at the LeBron James Skills Academy last week, Newman will not be playing with the Jackson Tigers this week according to The EYBL Circuit.
The question to be asked now is how this injury affects Newman’s status for the USA Basketball U-17 training camp, which is scheduled to begin next Thursday in Colorado Springs. Newman is one of 38 players invited to the camp, with the 12 selections representing the country in next month’s U-17 World Championships in Dubai (August 8-16).
Thirty-six of the 38 invitees are scheduled to attend the camp, with UCLA commit Lonzo Ball (2016) and 2015 forward Horace Spencer unable to attend according to USA Basketball. Finalists for the team will be announced on July 26, with the official team being named on or just before August 1.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)