Jul 16, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
With the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam beginning Wednesday, many of the nation’s top coaches descended upon North Augusta, South Carolina to watch some of the nation’s best prospects play in one of the showcase events of the summer. One such player expected to be on display was 2015 guard Malik Newman, considered by many to be one of the top players in his class.
But after injuring his left hand at the LeBron James Skills Academy last week, Newman will not be playing with the Jackson Tigers this week according to The EYBL Circuit.
The question to be asked now is how this injury affects Newman’s status for the USA Basketball U-17 training camp, which is scheduled to begin next Thursday in Colorado Springs. Newman is one of 38 players invited to the camp, with the 12 selections representing the country in next month’s U-17 World Championships in Dubai (August 8-16).
Thirty-six of the 38 invitees are scheduled to attend the camp, with UCLA commit Lonzo Ball (2016) and 2015 forward Horace Spencer unable to attend according to USA Basketball. Finalists for the team will be announced on July 26, with the official team being named on or just before August 1.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)