Jul 17, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
With assistant coach Scott Fisher one of two staff members who decided to leave the Hawaii program in late May, head coach Gib Arnold had a vacancy to fill on his staff. Thursday afternoon it was announced by the school that Senque Carey, who spent last season on Max Good’s staff at Loyola Marymount, was making the move west to Honolulu.
Carey, who played college basketball at both Washington and New Mexico has plenty of experience recruiting on the west coast and that should prove beneficial to the Hawaii program.
“We’re thrilled to have Senque join our staff,” Arnold said in the release. “I have known Senque a long time and even recruited him a bit back in the day. I’ve always been impressed by his work as an assistant coach, particularly as a recruiter and his ability to develop point guards.
“He has a great work ethic and major recruiting ties around the country. He’ll be relentless in his recruiting and his dedication to the University of Hawai’i. We’re very fortunate to have him join our staff.”
The second half of the 2013-14 season didn’t lack for issues at Hawaii, with the school self-reporting to the NCAA that a form used to get a player admitted to the school was altered, and assistant Brandyn Akana being suspended for 30 days as well. Akana and Benjy Taylor are still on the Hawaii coaching staff, and the program is still under NCAA investigation.
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 5
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)