Jul 17, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
With assistant coach Scott Fisher one of two staff members who decided to leave the Hawaii program in late May, head coach Gib Arnold had a vacancy to fill on his staff. Thursday afternoon it was announced by the school that Senque Carey, who spent last season on Max Good’s staff at Loyola Marymount, was making the move west to Honolulu.
Carey, who played college basketball at both Washington and New Mexico has plenty of experience recruiting on the west coast and that should prove beneficial to the Hawaii program.
“We’re thrilled to have Senque join our staff,” Arnold said in the release. “I have known Senque a long time and even recruited him a bit back in the day. I’ve always been impressed by his work as an assistant coach, particularly as a recruiter and his ability to develop point guards.
“He has a great work ethic and major recruiting ties around the country. He’ll be relentless in his recruiting and his dedication to the University of Hawai’i. We’re very fortunate to have him join our staff.”
The second half of the 2013-14 season didn’t lack for issues at Hawaii, with the school self-reporting to the NCAA that a form used to get a player admitted to the school was altered, and assistant Brandyn Akana being suspended for 30 days as well. Akana and Benjy Taylor are still on the Hawaii coaching staff, and the program is still under NCAA investigation.
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 0
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)