Jul 17, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
With assistant coach Scott Fisher one of two staff members who decided to leave the Hawaii program in late May, head coach Gib Arnold had a vacancy to fill on his staff. Thursday afternoon it was announced by the school that Senque Carey, who spent last season on Max Good’s staff at Loyola Marymount, was making the move west to Honolulu.
Carey, who played college basketball at both Washington and New Mexico has plenty of experience recruiting on the west coast and that should prove beneficial to the Hawaii program.
“We’re thrilled to have Senque join our staff,” Arnold said in the release. “I have known Senque a long time and even recruited him a bit back in the day. I’ve always been impressed by his work as an assistant coach, particularly as a recruiter and his ability to develop point guards.
“He has a great work ethic and major recruiting ties around the country. He’ll be relentless in his recruiting and his dedication to the University of Hawai’i. We’re very fortunate to have him join our staff.”
The second half of the 2013-14 season didn’t lack for issues at Hawaii, with the school self-reporting to the NCAA that a form used to get a player admitted to the school was altered, and assistant Brandyn Akana being suspended for 30 days as well. Akana and Benjy Taylor are still on the Hawaii coaching staff, and the program is still under NCAA investigation.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)