Jul 17, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
With assistant coach Scott Fisher one of two staff members who decided to leave the Hawaii program in late May, head coach Gib Arnold had a vacancy to fill on his staff. Thursday afternoon it was announced by the school that Senque Carey, who spent last season on Max Good’s staff at Loyola Marymount, was making the move west to Honolulu.
Carey, who played college basketball at both Washington and New Mexico has plenty of experience recruiting on the west coast and that should prove beneficial to the Hawaii program.
“We’re thrilled to have Senque join our staff,” Arnold said in the release. “I have known Senque a long time and even recruited him a bit back in the day. I’ve always been impressed by his work as an assistant coach, particularly as a recruiter and his ability to develop point guards.
“He has a great work ethic and major recruiting ties around the country. He’ll be relentless in his recruiting and his dedication to the University of Hawai’i. We’re very fortunate to have him join our staff.”
The second half of the 2013-14 season didn’t lack for issues at Hawaii, with the school self-reporting to the NCAA that a form used to get a player admitted to the school was altered, and assistant Brandyn Akana being suspended for 30 days as well. Akana and Benjy Taylor are still on the Hawaii coaching staff, and the program is still under NCAA investigation.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)