Jul 18, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
With Utah State athletic director Scott Barnes serving as chairman of the NCAA Division I men’s basketball committee this season, the question that remained unanswered was who would be the vice-chairman of the committee. Not only does that person essentially serve as Barnes’ “right-hand man” this season, but they would also be the committee chairman the following year.
The answer was revealed Friday morning, with the NCAA announcing that Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione will serve as committee vice-chairman this coming season and chairman of the committee in 2015-16. Among the responsibilities that come with being chairman of the men’s basketball committee: being the face of the NCAA tournament selection committee.
“I have been incredibly fortunate to have served on this committee with three outstanding chairs in Jeff Hathaway [the current director of athletics at Hofstra], Mike Bobinski [the current director of athletics director at Georgia Tech] and current chair Ron Wellman of Wake Forest,” Castiglione said in the release.
“Watching them lead the committee throughout the year and particularly through the selection process has been educational, and having the opportunity to work along with Scott in the coming year will serve as great preparation to fill this role. It’s an honor to be selected by my peers and I’m appreciative of the trust that this group, for which I have a tremendous amount of respect, has placed in me.”
Barnes’ tenure as men’s basketball committee chairman begins on September 1, with the terms of Wellman and Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton coming to an end on August 31.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)