Jul 18, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
With Utah State athletic director Scott Barnes serving as chairman of the NCAA Division I men’s basketball committee this season, the question that remained unanswered was who would be the vice-chairman of the committee. Not only does that person essentially serve as Barnes’ “right-hand man” this season, but they would also be the committee chairman the following year.
The answer was revealed Friday morning, with the NCAA announcing that Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione will serve as committee vice-chairman this coming season and chairman of the committee in 2015-16. Among the responsibilities that come with being chairman of the men’s basketball committee: being the face of the NCAA tournament selection committee.
“I have been incredibly fortunate to have served on this committee with three outstanding chairs in Jeff Hathaway [the current director of athletics at Hofstra], Mike Bobinski [the current director of athletics director at Georgia Tech] and current chair Ron Wellman of Wake Forest,” Castiglione said in the release.
“Watching them lead the committee throughout the year and particularly through the selection process has been educational, and having the opportunity to work along with Scott in the coming year will serve as great preparation to fill this role. It’s an honor to be selected by my peers and I’m appreciative of the trust that this group, for which I have a tremendous amount of respect, has placed in me.”
Barnes’ tenure as men’s basketball committee chairman begins on September 1, with the terms of Wellman and Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton coming to an end on August 31.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)