Jul 18, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
With Utah State athletic director Scott Barnes serving as chairman of the NCAA Division I men’s basketball committee this season, the question that remained unanswered was who would be the vice-chairman of the committee. Not only does that person essentially serve as Barnes’ “right-hand man” this season, but they would also be the committee chairman the following year.
The answer was revealed Friday morning, with the NCAA announcing that Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione will serve as committee vice-chairman this coming season and chairman of the committee in 2015-16. Among the responsibilities that come with being chairman of the men’s basketball committee: being the face of the NCAA tournament selection committee.
“I have been incredibly fortunate to have served on this committee with three outstanding chairs in Jeff Hathaway [the current director of athletics at Hofstra], Mike Bobinski [the current director of athletics director at Georgia Tech] and current chair Ron Wellman of Wake Forest,” Castiglione said in the release.
“Watching them lead the committee throughout the year and particularly through the selection process has been educational, and having the opportunity to work along with Scott in the coming year will serve as great preparation to fill this role. It’s an honor to be selected by my peers and I’m appreciative of the trust that this group, for which I have a tremendous amount of respect, has placed in me.”
Barnes’ tenure as men’s basketball committee chairman begins on September 1, with the terms of Wellman and Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton coming to an end on August 31.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)