Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two
Jul 19, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
NORTH AUGUSTA, SC — The Nike Peach Jam continued pool play on Friday as the action at the Riverview Parks and Activities Center got heated. With teams fighting to make it to tournament play, the level of intensity went up another notch and the event was packed with coaches and media.
Jamal Murray makes his case in 2016: The 2016 class is loaded with high-level point guards, from Dennis Smith to Derryck Thornton to Kobi Simmons. But Canada native Jamal Murray stated his case to be in the conversation with a sensational Friday-night performance against Team Takeover. The 6-foot-4 Murray and CIA Bounce ultimately lost to Takeover, but it had nothing to do with Murray, who had a fantastic second half. The tall point guard scored the ball from all three levels, showcasing a solid perimeter jumper, a lethal mid-range pull-up and an ability to get to the rim and score.
With his size, Murray can also see over the defense and made passes with both hands. Checking in at No. 18 in Rivals‘ 2016 rankings, Murray is already a known commodity, but he should be in the conversation as one of the best guards in the 2016 class.
Tyler Davis has a strong day: The 2015 class is noted for its amount of elite big men, but Texas native and 6-foot-9 center Tyler Davis is right behind that five-star group.
Checking in at No. 34 in Rivals 2015 rankings, the four-star Davis is having a big Peach Jam, as he went for 36 points and 13 rebounds in a Friday morning loss before bouncing back with 17 points and 11 rebounds in a close win over the Southern Stampede.
When the wide-bodied big man gets position in the post — which he’s very good at doing — it’s nearly impossible to stop him because he owns a good set of hands and has pretty good footwork for a high school big man.
Davis is open in the recruiting process but told NBCSports.com that Kansas and Arizona will likely get official visits after July.
Juwan Morgan has two that stand out: Mokan 2015 forward Juwan Morgan shows some versatility at the forward and the 6-foot-8 rim runner is having a solid Peach Jam.
After helping his team beat top-five big man Cheick Diallo and Team Scan, Morgan told NBCSports.com that Indiana and Washington are currently standing out for him and the two schools will gets visits from him.
Morgan also claims offers from Arkansas, Creighton, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Penn and Princeton. Harvard and Stanford have also expressed interest in Morgan, as well.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)