Jul 20, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
6-foot-8 forward Ben Simmons has been outstanding this month, with more than a few observers believing that the LSU commit has separated himself as the best prospect in the Class of 2015. Simmons, who attends Montverde Academy in Florida, is a native of Australia and this led to some asking a question about his future at the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam in North Augusta, South Carolina.
Would Simmons consider playing professionally in his native Australia (or somewhere else overseas) in 2015, as opposed to attending LSU? Simmons delivered the answer to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com, and it’s a response that will put a smile on the faces of LSU fans.
With Simmons reiterating his decision to head to Baton Rouge in 2015, the Tigers could potentially have a loaded front court when that season rolls around. Jarell Martin and Jordan Mickey, who were SEC All-Freshman Team selections last season, would be juniors and head coach Johnny Jones also has options such as Brian Bridgewater (he had to sit out last season for academic reasons) and current incoming freshmen Elbert Robinson and Aaron Epps.
Even if LSU were to lose a Martin or Mickey to the professional ranks, they won’t lack for bodies (or talent) in the front court. Adding Simmons to the rotations will make the Tigers an even tougher team to defend in that area of the floor.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)