Jul 20, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
6-foot-8 forward Ben Simmons has been outstanding this month, with more than a few observers believing that the LSU commit has separated himself as the best prospect in the Class of 2015. Simmons, who attends Montverde Academy in Florida, is a native of Australia and this led to some asking a question about his future at the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam in North Augusta, South Carolina.
Would Simmons consider playing professionally in his native Australia (or somewhere else overseas) in 2015, as opposed to attending LSU? Simmons delivered the answer to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com, and it’s a response that will put a smile on the faces of LSU fans.
With Simmons reiterating his decision to head to Baton Rouge in 2015, the Tigers could potentially have a loaded front court when that season rolls around. Jarell Martin and Jordan Mickey, who were SEC All-Freshman Team selections last season, would be juniors and head coach Johnny Jones also has options such as Brian Bridgewater (he had to sit out last season for academic reasons) and current incoming freshmen Elbert Robinson and Aaron Epps.
Even if LSU were to lose a Martin or Mickey to the professional ranks, they won’t lack for bodies (or talent) in the front court. Adding Simmons to the rotations will make the Tigers an even tougher team to defend in that area of the floor.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (71)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)