Jul 20, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
It’s been a tough week for the SMU basketball program.
Just days after it was announced that guard Emmanuel Mudiay, the crown jewel of the program’s 2014 recruiting class, would look for somewhere to play professionally (overseas) next season as opposed to attending SMU, head coach Larry Brown and his coaching staff have lost a verbal commitment in the 2015 class. Sunday afternoon four-star shooting guard Matt McQuaid made the decision to reopen his recruitment, with Evan Daniels of Scout.com reporting the news.
McQuaid is considered by some to be the best perimeter shooter in the Class of 2015, and he performed well at the LeBron James Skills Academy last week in Las Vegas with Brown among the college coaches in attendance. McQuaid’s decision leaves SMU with one verbal commitment in the class, point guard Sedrick Barefield.
McQuaid, who committed to attend SMU back in early May, also held offers from programs such as Alabama, Creighton, Oklahoma and Texas at the time of his commitment. The good news for SMU is that they recently landed a commitment from Virginia Tech transfer Ben Emelogu, and while he isn’t the shooter that McQuaid is Emelogu will be an important addition to the perimeter rotation.
In 2015 the Mustangs will have starter Nic Moore (he’ll be a senior) to go along with Emelogu and Barefield, with Keith Frazier (he’d be a junior) also having eligibility remaining.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 1
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 3
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)