Jul 20, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
It’s been a tough week for the SMU basketball program.
Just days after it was announced that guard Emmanuel Mudiay, the crown jewel of the program’s 2014 recruiting class, would look for somewhere to play professionally (overseas) next season as opposed to attending SMU, head coach Larry Brown and his coaching staff have lost a verbal commitment in the 2015 class. Sunday afternoon four-star shooting guard Matt McQuaid made the decision to reopen his recruitment, with Evan Daniels of Scout.com reporting the news.
McQuaid is considered by some to be the best perimeter shooter in the Class of 2015, and he performed well at the LeBron James Skills Academy last week in Las Vegas with Brown among the college coaches in attendance. McQuaid’s decision leaves SMU with one verbal commitment in the class, point guard Sedrick Barefield.
McQuaid, who committed to attend SMU back in early May, also held offers from programs such as Alabama, Creighton, Oklahoma and Texas at the time of his commitment. The good news for SMU is that they recently landed a commitment from Virginia Tech transfer Ben Emelogu, and while he isn’t the shooter that McQuaid is Emelogu will be an important addition to the perimeter rotation.
In 2015 the Mustangs will have starter Nic Moore (he’ll be a senior) to go along with Emelogu and Barefield, with Keith Frazier (he’d be a junior) also having eligibility remaining.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)