Jul 20, 2014, 6:46 PM EST
It’s been a tough week for the SMU basketball program.
Just days after it was announced that guard Emmanuel Mudiay, the crown jewel of the program’s 2014 recruiting class, would look for somewhere to play professionally (overseas) next season as opposed to attending SMU, head coach Larry Brown and his coaching staff have lost a verbal commitment in the 2015 class. Sunday afternoon four-star shooting guard Matt McQuaid made the decision to reopen his recruitment, with Evan Daniels of Scout.com reporting the news.
McQuaid is considered by some to be the best perimeter shooter in the Class of 2015, and he performed well at the LeBron James Skills Academy last week in Las Vegas with Brown among the college coaches in attendance. McQuaid’s decision leaves SMU with one verbal commitment in the class, point guard Sedrick Barefield.
McQuaid, who committed to attend SMU back in early May, also held offers from programs such as Alabama, Creighton, Oklahoma and Texas at the time of his commitment. The good news for SMU is that they recently landed a commitment from Virginia Tech transfer Ben Emelogu, and while he isn’t the shooter that McQuaid is Emelogu will be an important addition to the perimeter rotation.
In 2015 the Mustangs will have starter Nic Moore (he’ll be a senior) to go along with Emelogu and Barefield, with Keith Frazier (he’d be a junior) also having eligibility remaining.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 1
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 9
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 3
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (10)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)