Jul 20, 2014, 10:52 AM EST
Memphis picked up a major commitment on Sunday when five-star Class of 2016 forward Dedric Lawson pledged to head coach Josh Pastner.
Lawson confirmed the commitment to NBCSports.com following a semifinal victory from his Team Penny grassroots team at Peach Jam.
Lawson’s father Keelon, was named an assistant coach on Josh Pastner’s staff on Wednesday. In October, Dedric’s older brother, K.J. — the oldest of the four brothers — committed to Memphis, as well.
“It’s going to be a blessing,” Lawson said to NBCSports.com. “Just to be able to [be with family] on a high collegiate level. We’ve been doing it my whole life, so it will be nothing new. It’s just a blessing for us to be able to do it one more time.”
Regarded as the No. 8 overall prospect in the Class of 2016, according to Rivals, the 6-foot-8 Lawson is a major grab for Memphis. Dedric confirmed that his father becoming an assistant coach helped him make his decision.
“What really pushed the issue was my Dad getting the coaching job,” Lawson said. “With him being on staff, there’s no other college I would rather go to.”
Playing in his hometown of Memphis is also a very appealing prospect to Lawson.
“The best thing about Memphis, it’s a great environment,” Lawson said. ” Coach Pastner, he’s a great guy. It’s a great feeling playing in front of your home crowd. It’s just nothing but love in Memphis.”
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)