Jul 20, 2014, 10:52 AM EST
Memphis picked up a major commitment on Sunday when five-star Class of 2016 forward Dedric Lawson pledged to head coach Josh Pastner.
Lawson confirmed the commitment to NBCSports.com following a semifinal victory from his Team Penny grassroots team at Peach Jam.
Lawson’s father Keelon, was named an assistant coach on Josh Pastner’s staff on Wednesday. In October, Dedric’s older brother, K.J. — the oldest of the four brothers — committed to Memphis, as well.
“It’s going to be a blessing,” Lawson said to NBCSports.com. “Just to be able to [be with family] on a high collegiate level. We’ve been doing it my whole life, so it will be nothing new. It’s just a blessing for us to be able to do it one more time.”
Regarded as the No. 8 overall prospect in the Class of 2016, according to Rivals, the 6-foot-8 Lawson is a major grab for Memphis. Dedric confirmed that his father becoming an assistant coach helped him make his decision.
“What really pushed the issue was my Dad getting the coaching job,” Lawson said. “With him being on staff, there’s no other college I would rather go to.”
Playing in his hometown of Memphis is also a very appealing prospect to Lawson.
“The best thing about Memphis, it’s a great environment,” Lawson said. ” Coach Pastner, he’s a great guy. It’s a great feeling playing in front of your home crowd. It’s just nothing but love in Memphis.”
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)