Jul 20, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
In May, during the ACC spring meetings, commissioner John Swofford made the announcement that the conference will use a 30-second shot clock during exhibition play this season.
Since the 1993-1994 season, men’s college basketball has used a 35-second shot clock. This past season, the ACC averaged less than 62 possessions per game. To increase possessions and scoring, one idea is to lower the shot clock. For Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim, reducing it to 30 seconds isn’t good enough, as he told Andy Katz earlier this week during an interview for Katz Korner.
“Thirty is a compromise for me,” Boeheim told Katz, as transcribed by Mike Waters of the Post-Standard. “We’ve played internationally and we’ve never come close to a shot clock violation.
“We can’t sell 24 because every college coach doesn’t think he has enough players to play that. If you want more scoring in the game, shorten the clock. That’s all you have to do.”
Despite Belmont head coach Rick Byrd, chairman of the rules committee, stating little support for the change, Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey could see it happening as soon as 2015.
“Next year is a rule change,” Brey told NBCSports.com in June at The Basketball Tournament in Boston, “I could see that in a year. I think it will hold at 30 for a while.”
In the segment with Katz, Boeheim also discusses the NCAA’s deadline for players to declare for the NBA Draft.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)