Jul 20, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
In May, during the ACC spring meetings, commissioner John Swofford made the announcement that the conference will use a 30-second shot clock during exhibition play this season.
Since the 1993-1994 season, men’s college basketball has used a 35-second shot clock. This past season, the ACC averaged less than 62 possessions per game. To increase possessions and scoring, one idea is to lower the shot clock. For Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim, reducing it to 30 seconds isn’t good enough, as he told Andy Katz earlier this week during an interview for Katz Korner.
“Thirty is a compromise for me,” Boeheim told Katz, as transcribed by Mike Waters of the Post-Standard. “We’ve played internationally and we’ve never come close to a shot clock violation.
“We can’t sell 24 because every college coach doesn’t think he has enough players to play that. If you want more scoring in the game, shorten the clock. That’s all you have to do.”
Despite Belmont head coach Rick Byrd, chairman of the rules committee, stating little support for the change, Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey could see it happening as soon as 2015.
“Next year is a rule change,” Brey told NBCSports.com in June at The Basketball Tournament in Boston, “I could see that in a year. I think it will hold at 30 for a while.”
In the segment with Katz, Boeheim also discusses the NCAA’s deadline for players to declare for the NBA Draft.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)