Jul 21, 2014, 11:43 PM EDT
DePaul redshirt freshman forward DeJuan Marrero will be leaving the program to play his sophomore season at Chipola College, a source confirmed to NBCSports.com. Marrero’s transfer was first reported by Juco Junction.
The 6-foot-5 Marrero is a native of Gary, Indiana and never found his footing with the Blue Demons in two years on campus. Marrero tore his ACL and missed his first season of college and never gained consistent minutes in his second season as a redshirt freshman.
By transferring to Chipola, Marrero will get a fresh start and has a year to develop and find a new Division I program for his final two years of eligibility.
Marrero averaged 1.2 points and 2.2 rebounds in only 6.8 minutes per game last season while shooting 40 percent from the field and 41 percent from the free-throw line. This move is probably best for both parties since DePaul frees up a scholarship and Marrero can find a better fit at a lower level.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)