Jul 21, 2014, 11:43 PM EST
DePaul redshirt freshman forward DeJuan Marrero will be leaving the program to play his sophomore season at Chipola College, a source confirmed to NBCSports.com. Marrero’s transfer was first reported by Juco Junction.
The 6-foot-5 Marrero is a native of Gary, Indiana and never found his footing with the Blue Demons in two years on campus. Marrero tore his ACL and missed his first season of college and never gained consistent minutes in his second season as a redshirt freshman.
By transferring to Chipola, Marrero will get a fresh start and has a year to develop and find a new Division I program for his final two years of eligibility.
Marrero averaged 1.2 points and 2.2 rebounds in only 6.8 minutes per game last season while shooting 40 percent from the field and 41 percent from the free-throw line. This move is probably best for both parties since DePaul frees up a scholarship and Marrero can find a better fit at a lower level.
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 14
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (8)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)