Jul 21, 2014, 11:43 PM EDT
DePaul redshirt freshman forward DeJuan Marrero will be leaving the program to play his sophomore season at Chipola College, a source confirmed to NBCSports.com. Marrero’s transfer was first reported by Juco Junction.
The 6-foot-5 Marrero is a native of Gary, Indiana and never found his footing with the Blue Demons in two years on campus. Marrero tore his ACL and missed his first season of college and never gained consistent minutes in his second season as a redshirt freshman.
By transferring to Chipola, Marrero will get a fresh start and has a year to develop and find a new Division I program for his final two years of eligibility.
Marrero averaged 1.2 points and 2.2 rebounds in only 6.8 minutes per game last season while shooting 40 percent from the field and 41 percent from the free-throw line. This move is probably best for both parties since DePaul frees up a scholarship and Marrero can find a better fit at a lower level.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1