Jul 21, 2014, 11:43 PM EDT
DePaul redshirt freshman forward DeJuan Marrero will be leaving the program to play his sophomore season at Chipola College, a source confirmed to NBCSports.com. Marrero’s transfer was first reported by Juco Junction.
The 6-foot-5 Marrero is a native of Gary, Indiana and never found his footing with the Blue Demons in two years on campus. Marrero tore his ACL and missed his first season of college and never gained consistent minutes in his second season as a redshirt freshman.
By transferring to Chipola, Marrero will get a fresh start and has a year to develop and find a new Division I program for his final two years of eligibility.
Marrero averaged 1.2 points and 2.2 rebounds in only 6.8 minutes per game last season while shooting 40 percent from the field and 41 percent from the free-throw line. This move is probably best for both parties since DePaul frees up a scholarship and Marrero can find a better fit at a lower level.
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and a decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 3
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (3)