Jul 21, 2014, 11:43 PM EDT
DePaul redshirt freshman forward DeJuan Marrero will be leaving the program to play his sophomore season at Chipola College, a source confirmed to NBCSports.com. Marrero’s transfer was first reported by Juco Junction.
The 6-foot-5 Marrero is a native of Gary, Indiana and never found his footing with the Blue Demons in two years on campus. Marrero tore his ACL and missed his first season of college and never gained consistent minutes in his second season as a redshirt freshman.
By transferring to Chipola, Marrero will get a fresh start and has a year to develop and find a new Division I program for his final two years of eligibility.
Marrero averaged 1.2 points and 2.2 rebounds in only 6.8 minutes per game last season while shooting 40 percent from the field and 41 percent from the free-throw line. This move is probably best for both parties since DePaul frees up a scholarship and Marrero can find a better fit at a lower level.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)