Jul 22, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
The Atlantic Sun Conference announced on Tuesday that Northern Kentucky would be eligible for the postseason in all sports, including men’s and women’s basketball.
“This is a moment to celebrate for all current student-athletes at NKU, and the A-Sun is extremely proud to lead the way,” Commissioner Ted Gumbart said in a statement.
NKU has played at the Division I level for two season now, and while they still have to complete four years of Division I competition in order to make the NCAA tournament, the Norse will be allowed to play for an A-Sun title.
“This is tremendous news for all of our student-athletes and coaches,” said NKU Athletics Director Ken Bothof. “Since my arrival here at NKU, the ability to participate in postseason play is something that has continued to be a point of discussion. This is a wonderful opportunity to enhance the student-athlete experience. There are many conferences that discuss the importance of the student-athlete experience; the Atlantic Sun continues to show leadership in such discussions. The Commissioner and our fellow members have not only done a great job of communicating the importance of our student-athletes, they have also demonstrated a willingness to support them as well.”
The Norse went 9-21 overall and 5-13 in conference play last season, which was good for 8th in the ten-team conference.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)