Jul 23, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
After averaging 5.5 points per game on a team that reached the NCAA tournament in 2013-14, Louisiana guard Kevin Brown has reportedly decided to transfer to New Orleans according to a report Monday by Joshua Parrott of Basketball Times. As a result of his having graduated from Louisiana, Brown will be eligible to play immediately for head coach Mark Slessinger.
Joining the New Orleans program means that Brown returns to the city where his college career began, as he played in 18 games as a freshman at Tulane. Prior to last season, in which Brown played in all 35 games (13 starts) for the Ragin’ Cajuns, he played in just eight games due to a broken foot suffered during the 2012-13 season.
Brown’s best outing as a redshirt junior came in Louisiana’s 81-74 loss at South Alabama on January 16, as he scored 14 points (4-for-6 FG) in 24 minutes of action. His arrival gives New Orleans, which finished the 2013-14 season with an 11-15 record (8-10 Southland), some additional perimeter depth with rising sophomores Christavious Gill and Tevin Broyles being their most productive returnees in the backcourt.
Gill averaged 7.8 points and 2.1 rebounds per game as a freshman, with Broyles adding 5.6 points and 2.8 rebounds. Heading into 2014-15 the Privateers will have to account for the loss of its top four scorers from last season a group that included forward Cory Dixon (13.5 ppg, team-best 7.7 rpg), and leading assist man Isaac Mack (8.6 ppg, 3.3 apg).
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 31
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 6
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (31)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)