Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
The College of Charleston has launched a second investigation into accusations of misconduct by head coach Doug Wojcik.
Last month, a 50 page report was released based on the school’s initial investigation into allegations that Wojcik verbally abused players. You can read through them if you would like, and while it’s not quite as bad as what happened with Mike Rice at Rutgers, it doesn’t exactly paint the greatest picture of Wojcik.
But the latest news, according to multiple reports, is more troubling as a 13th player has come forward accusing Wojcik of mistreatment. Trevonte Dixon, who played for the Cougars in 2012-2013 before transferring out of the program, was allegedly involved in a physical confrontation with Wojcik. According to Andrew Miller of the Post and Courier, that confrontation was during a game and is on film, which is why new Charleston president Glenn McDonnell is able to open a new investigation.
Wojcik has not yet been fired by the school, but he was punished initially as a result of the first investigation. Wojcik is smart, he’s not going to quit this job and walk away from the $1.2 million that he is owed over the next three years by the school. The school can’t afford to pay two coach’s salaries and since he’s already been punished, Charleston doesn’t necessarily have grounds to fire him with cause.
These new allegations and this new investigation could end up being enough to allow Charleston to either fire Wojcik or convince him to negotiate a resignation package. According to CBSSports, regardless of how it happens, Wojcik has very likely coached his last game at Charleston.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)