Jul 23, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
Having served as an assistant at USC Upstate since 2009, Kyle Perry has played an important role in the Spartans’ transition to the Division I level. On Tuesday he was rewarded with a promotion by head coach Eddie Payne, with Perry now being the program’s associate head coach.
“Coach Perry has demonstrated proficiency and excellence in so many difference phases of our program, and I thought it was appropriate to make him Associate Head Coach,” Payne said in the release announcing the move. “He has functioned in that role already, and I think the title speaks to what he does for our program and how he has impacted our program.”
Among the players Perry has been credited with helping the program land was forward Torrey Craig, who wrapped up a storied four-year career at USC Upstate this past spring. Craig left the school ranked in the top five in career points (second), rebounds (first) and blocked shots (fifth).
USC Upstate finished the 2013-14 season with a 19-15 record (11-7 Big South), and the Spartans reached the postseason (CIT) for the second time in the last three years. The Spartans’ season came to an end in the first round, as they fell 63-60 to Towson.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)