Jul 23, 2014, 9:59 PM EST
Having served as an assistant at USC Upstate since 2009, Kyle Perry has played an important role in the Spartans’ transition to the Division I level. On Tuesday he was rewarded with a promotion by head coach Eddie Payne, with Perry now being the program’s associate head coach.
“Coach Perry has demonstrated proficiency and excellence in so many difference phases of our program, and I thought it was appropriate to make him Associate Head Coach,” Payne said in the release announcing the move. “He has functioned in that role already, and I think the title speaks to what he does for our program and how he has impacted our program.”
Among the players Perry has been credited with helping the program land was forward Torrey Craig, who wrapped up a storied four-year career at USC Upstate this past spring. Craig left the school ranked in the top five in career points (second), rebounds (first) and blocked shots (fifth).
USC Upstate finished the 2013-14 season with a 19-15 record (11-7 Big South), and the Spartans reached the postseason (CIT) for the second time in the last three years. The Spartans’ season came to an end in the first round, as they fell 63-60 to Towson.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)