Jul 24, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
One of the most closely followed story lines in the Class of 2016 is whether or not any of the top players will reclassify into 2015.
One of those players is Josh Jackson, the No. 1 player in the class, according to Rivals. There have been rumors swirling that he will eventually end up finishing his final year in high school next season as he is already transferring from Detroit to California, but those rumors were shot down by his mother last week in Georgia.
The other elite recruit that has had rumors of his grade change bounce around the grassroots circuit is Thon Maker. Maker is a 7-foot-1 native of Sudan by way of Australia who plays his high school ball in southern Virginia. He ability to block shots combined with his touch from the three-point line has gotten him recruited by the likes of Kentucky, Duke and, well, everyone that’s any good.
But it appears that Maker is going to end up playing two more years at the high school level, meaning that he will not be reclassifying out of 2016.
“It’s tough,” Ed Smith, Maker’s guardian, told AllHoosiers.com. “It’s tougher than we thought because of the amount of work you have to do. If we had had the summer to take some summer classes … but the summer has been so hectic. It’s probably not very likely. There’s no rush. You want to make sure your body’s ready and you’re also ready academically and socially.”
Maker caused a stir earlier this spring when a mixtape of his high school exploits went viral.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)
- Jerian Grant turns back fans trying to storm the floor after Duke win (GIF) (4)