Jul 24, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
One of the most closely followed story lines in the Class of 2016 is whether or not any of the top players will reclassify into 2015.
One of those players is Josh Jackson, the No. 1 player in the class, according to Rivals. There have been rumors swirling that he will eventually end up finishing his final year in high school next season as he is already transferring from Detroit to California, but those rumors were shot down by his mother last week in Georgia.
The other elite recruit that has had rumors of his grade change bounce around the grassroots circuit is Thon Maker. Maker is a 7-foot-1 native of Sudan by way of Australia who plays his high school ball in southern Virginia. He ability to block shots combined with his touch from the three-point line has gotten him recruited by the likes of Kentucky, Duke and, well, everyone that’s any good.
But it appears that Maker is going to end up playing two more years at the high school level, meaning that he will not be reclassifying out of 2016.
“It’s tough,” Ed Smith, Maker’s guardian, told AllHoosiers.com. “It’s tougher than we thought because of the amount of work you have to do. If we had had the summer to take some summer classes … but the summer has been so hectic. It’s probably not very likely. There’s no rush. You want to make sure your body’s ready and you’re also ready academically and socially.”
Maker caused a stir earlier this spring when a mixtape of his high school exploits went viral.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)