Jul 24, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
One of the most closely followed story lines in the Class of 2016 is whether or not any of the top players will reclassify into 2015.
One of those players is Josh Jackson, the No. 1 player in the class, according to Rivals. There have been rumors swirling that he will eventually end up finishing his final year in high school next season as he is already transferring from Detroit to California, but those rumors were shot down by his mother last week in Georgia.
The other elite recruit that has had rumors of his grade change bounce around the grassroots circuit is Thon Maker. Maker is a 7-foot-1 native of Sudan by way of Australia who plays his high school ball in southern Virginia. He ability to block shots combined with his touch from the three-point line has gotten him recruited by the likes of Kentucky, Duke and, well, everyone that’s any good.
But it appears that Maker is going to end up playing two more years at the high school level, meaning that he will not be reclassifying out of 2016.
“It’s tough,” Ed Smith, Maker’s guardian, told AllHoosiers.com. “It’s tougher than we thought because of the amount of work you have to do. If we had had the summer to take some summer classes … but the summer has been so hectic. It’s probably not very likely. There’s no rush. You want to make sure your body’s ready and you’re also ready academically and socially.”
Maker caused a stir earlier this spring when a mixtape of his high school exploits went viral.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 0
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)