Jul 24, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
One of the most closely followed story lines in the Class of 2016 is whether or not any of the top players will reclassify into 2015.
One of those players is Josh Jackson, the No. 1 player in the class, according to Rivals. There have been rumors swirling that he will eventually end up finishing his final year in high school next season as he is already transferring from Detroit to California, but those rumors were shot down by his mother last week in Georgia.
The other elite recruit that has had rumors of his grade change bounce around the grassroots circuit is Thon Maker. Maker is a 7-foot-1 native of Sudan by way of Australia who plays his high school ball in southern Virginia. He ability to block shots combined with his touch from the three-point line has gotten him recruited by the likes of Kentucky, Duke and, well, everyone that’s any good.
But it appears that Maker is going to end up playing two more years at the high school level, meaning that he will not be reclassifying out of 2016.
“It’s tough,” Ed Smith, Maker’s guardian, told AllHoosiers.com. “It’s tougher than we thought because of the amount of work you have to do. If we had had the summer to take some summer classes … but the summer has been so hectic. It’s probably not very likely. There’s no rush. You want to make sure your body’s ready and you’re also ready academically and socially.”
Maker caused a stir earlier this spring when a mixtape of his high school exploits went viral.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)