Jul 24, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
On Wednesday, the MGM Grand and bd Global announced two more early season college basketball events that will be taking place in Las Vegas this season. Both will be held at the 16,000-seat MGM Grand Garden Arena.
The first will be called the MGM Grand Main Event. It features eight teams, will be played on Nov. 24th and 26th, the Monday and Wednesday of Thanksgiving week; essentially, it runs concurrently with the Maui Invitational. The Main Event will be a pair of four team tournaments, with the Heavyweight bracket including Auburn, Oklahoma State, Oregon State and Tulsa and the Middleweight bracket featuring Louisiana, Milwaukee, Oral Roberts and a final team that will soon be announced.
Tip times and matchups will be announced in August.
The second event is titled the MGM Grand Showcase and will be a double-header with Oklahoma and Washington kicking off the action before UNLV plays their first game at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, taking on Utah. The Showcase will take place on Dec. 20th with the first game starting at 9:00 p.m. ET.
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 0
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- UConn lands former Seton Hall guard Sterling Gibbs, eligible immediately 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- NCAA rules committee proposes 30-second shot clock, fewer timeouts (5)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (4)