Jul 24, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
On Wednesday, the MGM Grand and bd Global announced two more early season college basketball events that will be taking place in Las Vegas this season. Both will be held at the 16,000-seat MGM Grand Garden Arena.
The first will be called the MGM Grand Main Event. It features eight teams, will be played on Nov. 24th and 26th, the Monday and Wednesday of Thanksgiving week; essentially, it runs concurrently with the Maui Invitational. The Main Event will be a pair of four team tournaments, with the Heavyweight bracket including Auburn, Oklahoma State, Oregon State and Tulsa and the Middleweight bracket featuring Louisiana, Milwaukee, Oral Roberts and a final team that will soon be announced.
Tip times and matchups will be announced in August.
The second event is titled the MGM Grand Showcase and will be a double-header with Oklahoma and Washington kicking off the action before UNLV plays their first game at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, taking on Utah. The Showcase will take place on Dec. 20th with the first game starting at 9:00 p.m. ET.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)