Jul 24, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
On Wednesday, the MGM Grand and bd Global announced two more early season college basketball events that will be taking place in Las Vegas this season. Both will be held at the 16,000-seat MGM Grand Garden Arena.
The first will be called the MGM Grand Main Event. It features eight teams, will be played on Nov. 24th and 26th, the Monday and Wednesday of Thanksgiving week; essentially, it runs concurrently with the Maui Invitational. The Main Event will be a pair of four team tournaments, with the Heavyweight bracket including Auburn, Oklahoma State, Oregon State and Tulsa and the Middleweight bracket featuring Louisiana, Milwaukee, Oral Roberts and a final team that will soon be announced.
Tip times and matchups will be announced in August.
The second event is titled the MGM Grand Showcase and will be a double-header with Oklahoma and Washington kicking off the action before UNLV plays their first game at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, taking on Utah. The Showcase will take place on Dec. 20th with the first game starting at 9:00 p.m. ET.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 0
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)