Jul 24, 2014, 12:21 PM EST
On Wednesday, the MGM Grand and bd Global announced two more early season college basketball events that will be taking place in Las Vegas this season. Both will be held at the 16,000-seat MGM Grand Garden Arena.
The first will be called the MGM Grand Main Event. It features eight teams, will be played on Nov. 24th and 26th, the Monday and Wednesday of Thanksgiving week; essentially, it runs concurrently with the Maui Invitational. The Main Event will be a pair of four team tournaments, with the Heavyweight bracket including Auburn, Oklahoma State, Oregon State and Tulsa and the Middleweight bracket featuring Louisiana, Milwaukee, Oral Roberts and a final team that will soon be announced.
Tip times and matchups will be announced in August.
The second event is titled the MGM Grand Showcase and will be a double-header with Oklahoma and Washington kicking off the action before UNLV plays their first game at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, taking on Utah. The Showcase will take place on Dec. 20th with the first game starting at 9:00 p.m. ET.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 12
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)
- Burning Questions: Who gets the last shot? (3)