AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment
Jul 26, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
LOUISVILLE — The end of the July live evaluation period is fast approaching, and besides Vegas, most of the college coaches in the country are attending AAU Nationals and the Super Showcase in Kentucky. Many players are worn out, playing through injury or just sitting out completely, but there are still a lot of talented players making an effort to be seen and earn scholarship offers.
AAU moves to Louisville – This season, AAU (the actual organization, not the incorrect label many tag onto grassroots or club basketball) moved its main boys basketball operation from Orlando and Disney to the Kentucky Expo Center in Louisville.
With 18 courts under one roof — including court one being Freedom Hall, the former Louisville Cardinals arena — Louisville has the facility to host the four events going on at the same time.
Being played this week are the 17U and 16U Nationals and each age division also has a Super Showcase Tournament. While having the 18 floors in one building is nice to limit traveling between gyms for coaches, players, fans and media, it’s also chaotic at times and difficult to sift through. I’ll have more on the Amateur Athletic Union this week.
Noah Dickerson still open to Georgetown — Class of 2015 four-star big man Noah Dickerson recently decommitted from Georgetown before the live evaluation period began in July.
As the No. 56 overall prospect in Rivals‘ 2015 national rankings, Dickerson has drawn a lot of interest this July playing with the Georgia Stars.
But Dickerson told NBCSports.com that he’s open to a return to the Hoyas, as well. Dickerson said he couldn’t name all of the scholarship offers he’s accumulated but mentioned Georgetown, Michigan, Virginia and Louisville as schools that are standing out.
“I still really like Georgetown a lot,” Dickerson said to NBCSports.com. “I [decommitted] not because I didn’t want to go to Georgetown, I did it because I didn’t get a chance to take a look at all of the other schools like I looked at Georgetown. I have to take visits to these other schools to see what they’re like because I know Georgetown like the back of my hand. I don’t know the other schools like that.”
Michigan has yet to offer, but Dickerson mentioned that they’ve been evaluating him for two years now.
It will be interesting to see where Dickerson’s recruitment goes from here and he also mentioned that he’s going to make a decision this spring.
Bruce Brown continues a strong July — Last week at Peach Jam, BABC guard Bruce Brown put together some strong showings.
That trend has continued this week at AAU. The Class of 2016 guard was very good on both ends of the floor in a BABC win over the Jackson Tigers in a Super Showcase tournament game on Friday night.
Brown used his physicality and intensity to make multiple steals and take them coast-to-coast for baskets while also putting in a tip dunk on a putback. As the No. 53 overall prospect in Rivals‘ 2016 rankings, Brown is a known commodity, but he’s had some good showings the last few weeks and will be a fun guard to track going into his junior season.
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 0
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 7
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 35
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Ben Howland to become the next Mississippi State head coach 6
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (35)
- You Make The Call: Did No. 11 UCLA beat No. 6 SMU on a goaltend or a blown call? (VIDEO) (32)
- Updated tournament records: Five ACC, three Pac-12 teams headed to Sweet 16 (22)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- R.J. Hunter, No. 14 Georgia State beat No. 3 Baylor in final seconds (VIDEO) (16)