Jul 26, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Saint Louis lost five experienced seniors from a 2014 NCAA Tournament team and they’ll need some of its six-man incoming freshman class to make an impact in the 2014-15 season.
In an interesting read from Tom Timmerman of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Billikens already have their six freshman on campus for summer sessions and the program is trying to get the new guys acclimated as quickly as possible.
Joining Saint Louis this season are guards Davell Roby, Marcus Bartley and Miles Reynolds, wing Malik Yarbrough, forward Brett Jolly and center Austin Gillman.
While every program initiates freshmen by putting them in the weight room and helping them learn terminology, senior members of the team are also helping cook for the team’s freshmen and teaching them about proper nutrition:
The freshmen are by no means alone in knowing they will be counted on. The team’s veterans also know it, which is why, for instance, senior Grandy Glaze has taken to cooking for his new teammates, trying to turn them on to the beauties of grilled chicken over fried chicken, of brown rice over white rice.
“They’re puppies,” Glaze said. “You have to feed your puppies.”
The puppies quote is one of the better quotes I’ve seen in quite some time, but Glaze is right. As Timmerman notes, no Saint Louis freshman has played over 180 minutes in a season in the last three years, so this will be a bit of a change for the Billikens with almost half of the roster entering as wide-eyed newcomers.
Expectations probably aren’t as high for Saint Louis as the past few seasons, but the year will be made much easier if some of the freshmen can start helping right away.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)