Jul 28, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
Much was made of Shabazz Napier’s remarks about the lack of food available to NCAA student-athletes during the NCAA Tournament this past March, but the NCAA changed the rule to allow for more food and snacks in April.
Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino credited the change in the NCAA rules, as well as Napier, for incoming freshman Carlos Morris putting on 17 pounds since he arrived on campus this summer.
With the new NCAA legislation in place, it should be easier for student-athletes to have a proper diet to go along with weight training to increase muscle mass in a shorter amount of time.
When Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino told reporters last week that scrawny freshman Carlos Morris gained 17 pounds since joining the team this summer, he credited the NCAA’s new policy.
“He came in, he might have been 160 pounds,” Pitino said. “Now that he gets in this environment, and he’s eating several times a day, thanks to Shabazz Napier, he’ll eat like 20 times a day. So we just keep feeding him. That’s the way it’s going to be.”
Besides coaches feeling good that their players aren’t going to bed hungry, could we see more development in the weight room for certain players and programs? It will probably help with certain athletes and hurt others who eat too much and add unnecessary weight.
The pros and cons of muscle development wasn’t often cited when the new legislation was put in place by the NCAA, but it could help some freshmen immediately gain strength and acclimate more quickly into college basketball.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)