Jul 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Northwestern head coach Chris Collins has been named the head coach of the USA Basketball Select Team that will face the members of USA Basketball National Team training for the 2014 FIBA World Cup. The news of Collins being named the head coach was announced by Northwestern athletics in an official release.
Collins will coach a group of NBA stars on the Select Team who are practicing against the National Team in training camp beginning on Monday and going through Thursday. The former Duke assistant coach and second-year head coach at Northwestern is a logical choice to coach the Select Team thanks to his experience on the USA Basketball National Team staff under Coach K during the 2008 and 2012 Olympics.
Although Collins coaching a group of young NBA all-stars has little bearing on college basketball this season, this continues to help the Northwestern coach on the recruiting trail. There aren’t many college basketball coaches who get to work with NBA stars and Collins getting a chance to work directly with players like that is something recruits are very interested in hearing about.
Players that compete in the Big Ten ultimately want to play professional basketball and Collins can say that he actually worked with a group made up of some of the best players in the world.
The USA Basketball National Team will play in the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain from August 30 through September 14.
- NCAA sanctions for Syracuse include 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for head coach Jim Boeheim 0
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 3
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)