Jul 28, 2014, 3:36 PM EST
Washington has landed a commitment from Jermaine Haley, a Class of 2016 point guard from British Columbia.
Haley is an intriguing prospect. He’s a point guard but he also stands 6-foot-6, drawing some comparisons to Michael Carter-Williams and Kyle Anderson the way that every big point guard is going to draw comparisons to those two players.
Here is how Rivals’ Eric Bossi describes him: “He is a fluid athlete with a high skill level who makes things look easy. He can pass, is athletic and looks to be a good enough jump shooter to keep defenders honest. What Haley isn’t yet is overly aggressive. At times, he is a defender’s best friend because he doesn’t test them quite like he is capable of doing.”
Haley will be spending next season, his junior season in high school, at the Canarias Basketball Academy on the Canary Islands. He’s currently unranked by Rivals, but that will change when they are updated. Haley reported offers from Memphis, Oregon and Gonzaga, Louisville, Maryland, Illinois, Clemson, and Oregon State, and when those schools are pursuing you as a rising junior, it usually means you’re a top 100 player.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame falls, No. 13 Louisville comes back from 18 down 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 0
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)