Jul 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Allegations of abuse have been the focal point of the College of Charleston men’s basketball program for the entire month of July. Last week, the school launched its second investigation into head coach Doug Wojcik, who has been accused of both verbal and physical abuse.
The latest investigation stems from accusations made by Trevonte Dixon, a guard who spent the 2012-2013 season playing for the Cougars. He accused Wojcik of assaulting him during a confrontation after Dixon was taken out of game, while also claiming Wojcik threw basketballs at players during practice.
On Tuesday, Wojcik’s attorney, Scott Tompsett provided Andrew Miller of the Post and Courier video of the alleged incidents. The confrontation Dixon claimed happened took place on Dec. 1, 2012 during a game against Elon. There is also footage of the same half-court drill, which is from several different practices.
From the video, because of the angle and distance, it’s difficult to tell if Wojcik made contact with Dixon after he had benched him during that contest.
As for the footage from practice, he did hit players with basketballs during the drill, but he appears to aim for the back, arms and legs. They certainly weren’t thrown with the same intent as Mike Rice.
“The video we’ve provided shows players occasionally getting hit with the ball in the back, legs or buttocks because they were not looking for the pass,” Tompsett said through a statement. “And that’s what happens in real-game situations. The drill simulates a game situation.”
Keep in mind, the video and explanations are coming from Wojcik’s attorney. Obviously, Tompsett isn’t going to provide any incriminating evidence to the media. This is from Darren Stoltzfus from WCIV in Charleston who spoke with Dixon’s attorney:
Just off the phone with Trevonte Dixon’s attorney – she says this is a partial video release, she wants a “full and accurate picture”
— Daren Stoltzfus (@DStoltzfusWCIV) July 29, 2014
The Post and Courier does not have an embeddable link, but the video is available on its website.
The initial investigation was reported on July 2. Wojcik is suspended for the month of August without pay.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)