Jul 29, 2014, 8:34 PM EST
On Tuesday evening, a huge water main break on Sunset Boulevard flooded the UCLA campus. The water poured onto the campus for more than an hour, making its way to the UCLA athletic fields and into the famous Pauley Pavilion.
The 30-inch water main ruptured just before 4 p.m. in the 10600 block of West Sunset Boulevard and blew open a 15-foot sinkhole, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Pauley Pavilion opened in 1965, and went under massive and expensive renovations in 2010. The revamped Pauley Pavilion reopened in Nov. 2012. It cost $136 million to renovate the arena and add new locker rooms, concession stands, and video boards.
A statement from UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero: “At this hour, we are still gathering information and, to the extent possible, assessing the damage to our athletic facilities affected by the water main break. Regarding specific inquiries and concerns about Pauley Pavilion, most people are aware by now that the floor and locker rooms sustained significant flooding. The water will be removed from the floor tonight. We will then reassess the situation tomorrow morning and be able to provide additional information at the appropriate time.”
Here are the photos from the flooding, in and outside, of the historic venue, the first being the floor of the locker room. Not good:
The water reached an underground parking garage:
Someone just sent this to me, water now flowing into the underground parking garages. Dear God… pic.twitter.com/WHjpDNnTX6
— Bruin Country™ (@UCLA_Nation) July 30, 2014
Staff is saying there is a parking lot below level 1. If so, the picture doesn’t paint a pretty picture pic.twitter.com/Uy7eeXXAOc
— Jeong Park (@JeongParkDB) July 29, 2014
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 0
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)