Jul 29, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
On Tuesday evening, a huge water main break on Sunset Boulevard flooded the UCLA campus. The water poured onto the campus for more than an hour, making its way to the UCLA athletic fields and into the famous Pauley Pavilion.
The 30-inch water main ruptured just before 4 p.m. in the 10600 block of West Sunset Boulevard and blew open a 15-foot sinkhole, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Pauley Pavilion opened in 1965, and went under massive and expensive renovations in 2010. The revamped Pauley Pavilion reopened in Nov. 2012. It cost $136 million to renovate the arena and add new locker rooms, concession stands, and video boards.
A statement from UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero: “At this hour, we are still gathering information and, to the extent possible, assessing the damage to our athletic facilities affected by the water main break. Regarding specific inquiries and concerns about Pauley Pavilion, most people are aware by now that the floor and locker rooms sustained significant flooding. The water will be removed from the floor tonight. We will then reassess the situation tomorrow morning and be able to provide additional information at the appropriate time.”
Here are the photos from the flooding, in and outside, of the historic venue, the first being the floor of the locker room. Not good:
The water reached an underground parking garage:
Someone just sent this to me, water now flowing into the underground parking garages. Dear God… pic.twitter.com/WHjpDNnTX6
— Bruin Country™ (@UCLA_Nation) July 30, 2014
Staff is saying there is a parking lot below level 1. If so, the picture doesn’t paint a pretty picture pic.twitter.com/Uy7eeXXAOc
— Jeong Park (@JeongParkDB) July 29, 2014
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)