Jul 29, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
On Tuesday evening, a huge water main break on Sunset Boulevard flooded the UCLA campus. The water poured onto the campus for more than an hour, making its way to the UCLA athletic fields and into the famous Pauley Pavilion.
The 30-inch water main ruptured just before 4 p.m. in the 10600 block of West Sunset Boulevard and blew open a 15-foot sinkhole, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Pauley Pavilion opened in 1965, and went under massive and expensive renovations in 2010. The revamped Pauley Pavilion reopened in Nov. 2012. It cost $136 million to renovate the arena and add new locker rooms, concession stands, and video boards.
A statement from UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero: “At this hour, we are still gathering information and, to the extent possible, assessing the damage to our athletic facilities affected by the water main break. Regarding specific inquiries and concerns about Pauley Pavilion, most people are aware by now that the floor and locker rooms sustained significant flooding. The water will be removed from the floor tonight. We will then reassess the situation tomorrow morning and be able to provide additional information at the appropriate time.”
Here are the photos from the flooding, in and outside, of the historic venue, the first being the floor of the locker room. Not good:
The water reached an underground parking garage:
Someone just sent this to me, water now flowing into the underground parking garages. Dear God… pic.twitter.com/WHjpDNnTX6
— Bruin Country™ (@UCLA_Nation) July 30, 2014
Staff is saying there is a parking lot below level 1. If so, the picture doesn’t paint a pretty picture pic.twitter.com/Uy7eeXXAOc
— Jeong Park (@JeongParkDB) July 29, 2014
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)