Jul 29, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Kentucky center Willie Cauley-Stein missed the final three games of the NCAA tournament with an ankle injury. Until Tuesday afternoon, there wasn’t much else to know about the injury, other than a photo he posted 10 weeks after surgery, images of him riding around campus on a scooter and that he wouldn’t play in Kentucky’s trip in August.
On the Joe B and Denny Show on AM-790 KRD, Joe B. Hall mentioned he had recently talked to Cauley-Stein, who gave an update on his injury. This portion of the show was transcribed by Kyle Tucker, the Kentucky beat writer for the Courier Journal:
Speaking on the radio show he shares with former Louisville coach Denny Crum on AM-790 in Louisville, Hall said he’d recently asked Cauley-Stein at a UK practice about the extent of his injury. The junior big man told Hall he’d had a metal plate and three screws inserted to stabilize his ankle.
A UK spokesman could not confirm Hall’s account of Cauley-Stein’s procedure or elaborate in any way.
According to Hall, that might have been the reason the 7-footer decided to return instead of declaring for the NBA Draft, where he likely would have been a lottery pick. When Cauley-Stein announced he returned, he told Calipari that he enjoyed college too much, didn’t think he was ready for the NBA and wanted to win a national championship. The Wildcats enter next season as the nation’s top team.
Cauley-Stein averaged 6.8 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.9 blocks per game as a sophomore. He is again projected as a lottery pick for the NBA Draft by DraftExpress.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)