Jul 30, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
In the immediate aftermath of Tony Barbee being fired at Auburn, 6-foot-7 small forward Sam Logwood made the decision to remain signed with the program despite the fact that at the time the new head coach wasn’t known. Since then Bruce Pearl has been hired, and the work of his staff (Pearl’s show cause penalty doesn’t expire until late August) has resulted in a recruiting haul that has sparked enthusiasm for Auburn basketball on the Plains.
As for Logwood his desire to remain a Tiger changed as the summer progressed, and on Wednesday it was reported that his request to be released from the National Letter of Intent he signed was granted. Logwood’s decision moves Auburn closer to the 13-scholarship limit, with the Tigers “publicly” being one above that mark at present time.
Logwood’s an athletic wing who can help whichever new program he decides to join. However, something to consider in this is that according to Phillip Marshall of 247Sports Logwood had yet to be cleared academically. Which schools jump into the mix could be impacted by how sure they are that Logwood will get the clearance needed to step onto the court in 2014-15.
When he committed to attend Auburn in September 2013, Logwood held offers from programs such as Mississippi State, Creighton, Iowa and Wichita State (to name four).
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)