Jul 30, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT
One of the biggest challenges for a coach in rebuilding a struggling program is making strides on the recruiting trail. So when the coach has the opportunity to land a talented player, especially one within state lines, it’s imperative that they take advantage of the situation. Wednesday, Mississippi State head coach Rick Ray received some very good news for his program, as 6-foot-5 guard Quinndary Weatherspoon verbally committed to become a Bulldog.
The Bulldogs have enjoyed some success on the recruiting trail, especially when it comes to the 2015 class, so the commitment of Weatherspoon is another piece of good news for the program. News of Weatherspoon’s commitment was first reported by Courtney Cronin of the Clarion-Ledger.
RELATED: Weatherspoon shined at Peach Jam
Mississippi State was one of two programs to extend an offer to Weatherspoon in late April with Middle Tennessee being the other, with the Velma Jackson HS (Camden, Mississippi) product coming off of a junior season in which he averaged 16.7 points per game and helped lead his team to a Class 3A state title.
“MTSU told me how I can come in and play a lot my freshman year,” he said. “Mississippi State said that as a freshman I’ll be coming off the bench but by my sophomore year, I’ll get some good playing time.”
As a member of the Jackson Tigers program this spring Weatherspoon averaged 15.9 points and 4.4 rebounds per game in Nike EYBL play. He’s the third player to verbally commit to play at Mississippi State, with power forward Joseph Struggs and point guard Tookie Brown being the others.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)