Jul 30, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT
One of the biggest challenges for a coach in rebuilding a struggling program is making strides on the recruiting trail. So when the coach has the opportunity to land a talented player, especially one within state lines, it’s imperative that they take advantage of the situation. Wednesday, Mississippi State head coach Rick Ray received some very good news for his program, as 6-foot-5 guard Quinndary Weatherspoon verbally committed to become a Bulldog.
The Bulldogs have enjoyed some success on the recruiting trail, especially when it comes to the 2015 class, so the commitment of Weatherspoon is another piece of good news for the program. News of Weatherspoon’s commitment was first reported by Courtney Cronin of the Clarion-Ledger.
RELATED: Weatherspoon shined at Peach Jam
Mississippi State was one of two programs to extend an offer to Weatherspoon in late April with Middle Tennessee being the other, with the Velma Jackson HS (Camden, Mississippi) product coming off of a junior season in which he averaged 16.7 points per game and helped lead his team to a Class 3A state title.
“MTSU told me how I can come in and play a lot my freshman year,” he said. “Mississippi State said that as a freshman I’ll be coming off the bench but by my sophomore year, I’ll get some good playing time.”
As a member of the Jackson Tigers program this spring Weatherspoon averaged 15.9 points and 4.4 rebounds per game in Nike EYBL play. He’s the third player to verbally commit to play at Mississippi State, with power forward Joseph Struggs and point guard Tookie Brown being the others.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)