Jul 30, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
After averaging 11.3 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game as a junior last season, Marquette guard Todd Mayo has decided to leave the program to pursue professional opportunities. The news was first reported by Real GM, with Marquette confirming the news via press release shortly thereafter.
“We wish Todd nothing but the best and appreciate his contributions to the program, not only since I arrived at Marquette, but during his entire career,” Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski said in the release.
“I completely understand his desire to continue his career at the professional level and support his decision.”
As noted here, Mayo is already 23 years old so from that standpoint the decision to move on in an attempt to earn money is understandable. But regardless of the issues that some have brought up, including Mayo being suspended for last season’s Wisconsin game for a violation of team rules and his academic ineligibility during the 2012-13 season, this is an important loss for the Golden Eagles.
Mayo’s departure means that Marquette will be without its top four scorers from last season, with sophomore wing Deonte Burton (6.9 ppg) being their most productive returnee. It also affects Marquette’s perimeter depth, with Duane Wilson (who redshirted last season due to a preseason leg injury), graduate transfer Matt Carlino and sophomore Jajuan Johnson becoming even more important figures in Wojciechowski’s rotation.
Carlino averaged 13.7 points and 4.3 assists per game at BYU last season as he split time between starting and reserve roles on a team that reached the NCAA tournament. His ability to score will be an important factor for Marquette in 2014-15.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)