Jul 30, 2014, 7:12 PM EST
After averaging 11.3 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game as a junior last season, Marquette guard Todd Mayo has decided to leave the program to pursue professional opportunities. The news was first reported by Real GM, with Marquette confirming the news via press release shortly thereafter.
“We wish Todd nothing but the best and appreciate his contributions to the program, not only since I arrived at Marquette, but during his entire career,” Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski said in the release.
“I completely understand his desire to continue his career at the professional level and support his decision.”
As noted here, Mayo is already 23 years old so from that standpoint the decision to move on in an attempt to earn money is understandable. But regardless of the issues that some have brought up, including Mayo being suspended for last season’s Wisconsin game for a violation of team rules and his academic ineligibility during the 2012-13 season, this is an important loss for the Golden Eagles.
Mayo’s departure means that Marquette will be without its top four scorers from last season, with sophomore wing Deonte Burton (6.9 ppg) being their most productive returnee. It also affects Marquette’s perimeter depth, with Duane Wilson (who redshirted last season due to a preseason leg injury), graduate transfer Matt Carlino and sophomore Jajuan Johnson becoming even more important figures in Wojciechowski’s rotation.
Carlino averaged 13.7 points and 4.3 assists per game at BYU last season as he split time between starting and reserve roles on a team that reached the NCAA tournament. His ability to score will be an important factor for Marquette in 2014-15.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 5
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)