Jul 30, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
After averaging 11.3 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game as a junior last season, Marquette guard Todd Mayo has decided to leave the program to pursue professional opportunities. The news was first reported by Real GM, with Marquette confirming the news via press release shortly thereafter.
“We wish Todd nothing but the best and appreciate his contributions to the program, not only since I arrived at Marquette, but during his entire career,” Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski said in the release.
“I completely understand his desire to continue his career at the professional level and support his decision.”
As noted here, Mayo is already 23 years old so from that standpoint the decision to move on in an attempt to earn money is understandable. But regardless of the issues that some have brought up, including Mayo being suspended for last season’s Wisconsin game for a violation of team rules and his academic ineligibility during the 2012-13 season, this is an important loss for the Golden Eagles.
Mayo’s departure means that Marquette will be without its top four scorers from last season, with sophomore wing Deonte Burton (6.9 ppg) being their most productive returnee. It also affects Marquette’s perimeter depth, with Duane Wilson (who redshirted last season due to a preseason leg injury), graduate transfer Matt Carlino and sophomore Jajuan Johnson becoming even more important figures in Wojciechowski’s rotation.
Carlino averaged 13.7 points and 4.3 assists per game at BYU last season as he split time between starting and reserve roles on a team that reached the NCAA tournament. His ability to score will be an important factor for Marquette in 2014-15.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)