Jul 30, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
The last couple of seasons have been incredibly difficult for anyone associated with the Grambling State basketball program. With academic issues that led to a postseason ban in 2013 and an on-court product that produced just five wins over the last two season, it was clear that a lot needed to be fixed in order for the SWAC program to move forward. Interim president Cynthia Warrick has found the man who will lead the Grambling State basketball program.
Shawn Walker, who for the last 12 years served as head coach at Division II Elizabeth City State, will be hired at Grambling State. During his time at ECSU Walker compiled a record of 196-172, which included a season as head coach of the women’s program. Under Walker the Vikings made three appearances in the CIAA title game, winning the league tournament in 2007.
“Our department and university family wishes Coach Walker the very best as he transitions to Division I Basketball,” ECSU AD J. Lin Dawson said in a release. “We appreciated his commitment to ECSU and the legacy he built. He is a solid individual who understands that the platform of Athletics provides a tremendous avenue to impact the community, and in particularly, the youth.
“Shawn will be a major asset to Grambling. He brings a successful coaching résumé, vision, stability, and a strong work ethic that is contagious.”
Grambling State has yet to announce the move despite Elizabeth City State announcing Walker’s resignation, but according to the News-Star an email was sent to members of the program by Warrick informing them of the move. Joseph Price, who was placed in charge of the program to turn things around, may not have been successful from a win/loss standpoint but his moves helped the Tigers get out of the academic rut they were in.
And among the additions to the program was guard Antwan Scott, who posted averages of 15.7 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game last season. Making sure Scott stays around for his senior season will be one of Walker’s most important early tasks.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 1
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)