Jul 31, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Donovan Mitchell has finally cut his list of schools, a process that has been a long time in the works.
On Thursday morning, Mitchell tweeted out that he was now only considering 10 schools: Providence, Creighton, Florida State, Indiana, Georgetown, Villanova, Louisville, Kansas, Boston College and North Carolina.
Mitchell was one of the fastest rising prospects in the country this July. He missed last year’s summer circuit because of a broken wrist and gained a new appreciation for the game and how it should be played, telling NBCSports earlier this month that “being out, I realized I wasn’t giving my all as much as I am now.”
A powerful, 6-foot-3 guard with long arms, Mitchell’s game resembles that of Dwayne Wade and Louisville guard Terry Rozier. He’s excellent attacking the glass, he can put the ball on the floor and finish above the rim, he’s a very capable passer and his three-point range continues to develop as well.
Mitchell is currently ranked No. 101 in Rivals top 150, but that’s a ranking that will shoot way up when the list gets updated. He had planned to trim his list much earlier this month, but as he started to blow up, so did his recruitment. He waited it out and has gone from being a priority target for Northeast schools to a national recruit being pursued by the likes of Louisville, Kansas and Indiana.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 0
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)