Jul 31, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Donovan Mitchell has finally cut his list of schools, a process that has been a long time in the works.
On Thursday morning, Mitchell tweeted out that he was now only considering 10 schools: Providence, Creighton, Florida State, Indiana, Georgetown, Villanova, Louisville, Kansas, Boston College and North Carolina.
Mitchell was one of the fastest rising prospects in the country this July. He missed last year’s summer circuit because of a broken wrist and gained a new appreciation for the game and how it should be played, telling NBCSports earlier this month that “being out, I realized I wasn’t giving my all as much as I am now.”
A powerful, 6-foot-3 guard with long arms, Mitchell’s game resembles that of Dwayne Wade and Louisville guard Terry Rozier. He’s excellent attacking the glass, he can put the ball on the floor and finish above the rim, he’s a very capable passer and his three-point range continues to develop as well.
Mitchell is currently ranked No. 101 in Rivals top 150, but that’s a ranking that will shoot way up when the list gets updated. He had planned to trim his list much earlier this month, but as he started to blow up, so did his recruitment. He waited it out and has gone from being a priority target for Northeast schools to a national recruit being pursued by the likes of Louisville, Kansas and Indiana.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)