Jul 31, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
On Wednesday, Duke announced that Grant Hill, a former all-american and national champion for the Blue Devils, and his wife, Tamia, had donated $1.25 million to the school.
$1 million of that money will go towards athletic department upgrades. The other $250,000 will be given to Trinity College of Arts & Sciences.
“Tamia and I are in a fortunate position to be able give back to the university that did so much for me,” Hill said. “In the 20 years since my graduation, I am certain that the academic environment, the coaches and staff, and every facet of being a student at Duke contributed to make me a better person.”
This is the second time that Hill has made a seven-figure donation to the school. In 2000, he donated $1 million for a basketball scholarship fund.
“As an outstanding example of a Duke student-athlete, Grant Hill became a beloved part of Duke’s history,” university president Richard Brodhead said in a statement. “We’re grateful that Grant and Tamia have helped to ensure that Duke’s tradition of academic opportunities and remarkable student-athletes continues well into the future.”
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)