Jul 31, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
On Wednesday, Duke announced that Grant Hill, a former all-american and national champion for the Blue Devils, and his wife, Tamia, had donated $1.25 million to the school.
$1 million of that money will go towards athletic department upgrades. The other $250,000 will be given to Trinity College of Arts & Sciences.
“Tamia and I are in a fortunate position to be able give back to the university that did so much for me,” Hill said. “In the 20 years since my graduation, I am certain that the academic environment, the coaches and staff, and every facet of being a student at Duke contributed to make me a better person.”
This is the second time that Hill has made a seven-figure donation to the school. In 2000, he donated $1 million for a basketball scholarship fund.
“As an outstanding example of a Duke student-athlete, Grant Hill became a beloved part of Duke’s history,” university president Richard Brodhead said in a statement. “We’re grateful that Grant and Tamia have helped to ensure that Duke’s tradition of academic opportunities and remarkable student-athletes continues well into the future.”
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)