Jul 31, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
On Wednesday, Duke announced that Grant Hill, a former all-american and national champion for the Blue Devils, and his wife, Tamia, had donated $1.25 million to the school.
$1 million of that money will go towards athletic department upgrades. The other $250,000 will be given to Trinity College of Arts & Sciences.
“Tamia and I are in a fortunate position to be able give back to the university that did so much for me,” Hill said. “In the 20 years since my graduation, I am certain that the academic environment, the coaches and staff, and every facet of being a student at Duke contributed to make me a better person.”
This is the second time that Hill has made a seven-figure donation to the school. In 2000, he donated $1 million for a basketball scholarship fund.
“As an outstanding example of a Duke student-athlete, Grant Hill became a beloved part of Duke’s history,” university president Richard Brodhead said in a statement. “We’re grateful that Grant and Tamia have helped to ensure that Duke’s tradition of academic opportunities and remarkable student-athletes continues well into the future.”
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)