Jul 31, 2014, 10:13 PM EST
In early July former academic advisor Mary Willingham filed a lawsuit against the University of North Carolina, alleging that her concerns regarding the education of student-athletes were not addressed and that she’d been demoted and reassigned after bringing up those issues. With this and the Rashad McCants situation to address, the school also has to deal with the NCAA deciding to reopen its investigation into allegations of academic fraud.
With regards to the Willingham suit North Carolina has gone with the strategy of requesting that the case be moved to federal court according to WNCN News. The school would like to see Willingham’s suit moved from district court in Wake County to a US District Court in the Eastern District of North Carolina.
“The University moved Ms. Willingham’s lawsuit to federal court on Wednesday because the case raises issues of federal law,” said Joel Curran, vice chancellor for communications and public affairs at UNC. “She originally filed her claims in Wake County. We continue to believe the facts will demonstrate that Ms. Willingham was treated fairly and appropriately while she was employed at Carolina.”
Willingham, who is seeking damages from the school, also stated that the research she’d done that revealed that some 60 percent of student-athletes at UNC read at no better than an eighth grade level, was incorrectly explained at a faculty meeting by UNC Provost James Dean. Dean also stated that Willingham’s research was “a travesty” according to WNCN.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:42 PM EST
Here’s a rundown from Friday night’s action.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:37 PM EST
What do you think? Watch the play and let us know in the comment section.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Just another alley-oop for Slam Thompson.
Nov 28, 2014, 6:34 PM EST
The Badgers were led by Frank Kaminsky with 17 points; 13 of which came in the second half.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:58 PM EST
Here are the teams competing in the top early-season tournament.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
The 2014 Barclays Center Classic will air a doubleheader on Friday night, live on NBC Sports Network. Coverage on NBCSN begins at 7 p.m. EST
Nov 28, 2014, 4:54 PM EST
Butler, picked seventh in the Big East, left the Battle 4 Atlantis with a pair of important victories.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:55 PM EST
Kansas scored 82 points in their win over Tennessee but they also committed 16 turnovers as they continue to figure each other out offensively.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:07 PM EST
Aaron Thomas and Devon Bookert both suffered injuries last weekend that have kept them sidelined.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:25 AM EST
Dez Wells made just five of his 20 field goal attempts against Iowa State. This injury may be the reason why.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Providence better focus on Yale and not get caught looking forward to their game at No. 1 Kentucky on Sunday.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:01 AM EST
North Carolina did a better job on the boards while also forcing 23 turnovers in their win over UCLA.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:53 PM EST
Penn State will return to the school’s original colors- black and pink- for their next two games.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:34 PM EST
This is hilarious.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:08 PM EST
Koenig and Dukan combined to score 18 points in the second half for the second-ranked Badgers.
Nov 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
Khwan Fore’s averaging 7.5 minutes per game in two appearances this season.
Nov 27, 2014, 3:54 PM EST
This might have been the best feast week game of all time.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:56 PM EST
Perkins was kicked in the face by a Georgia player.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
It’s not just football that’s on today.
Nov 27, 2014, 3:14 AM EST
A lot is riding on this season for St. John’s. Can they consistently be the ‘grown up’ team they claimed to be on Wednesday night?
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)